It’s easy to scoop out ice cream or frozen yogurt for a quick dessert. But it’s almost as easy to turn that frozen pint into a dazzling pie (photo #1).
It’s as easy as buying a cookie crust and a couple of pints of your frozen dessert of choice.
In the recipe below, we provide the simple way to make your own crust: It’s just cookies and butter.
If you want to make your own ice cream or frozen yogurt, we applaud you. We haven’t yet dragged our ice cream maker out of the closet.
What makes this frozen pie special is the garnish of berries. You can use stone fruits (nectarines, peaches, etc.) but the berries provide more color and easier slicing.
Ingredients For The Crust
1. PREPARE the crust. Crush the graham crackers or other cookies in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Mix the crumbs with the melted butter and press onto the bottom of pie plate.
2. SOFTEN the ice cream or frozen yogurt on the counter for, while the pie crust is hardening, for 10-15 minutes.
3. SPREAD the ice cream/yogurt with a spatula into the pie crust. If using two different flavors, let the bottom layer harden in the freezer for 10 minutes or more. It will prevent the top flavor from “swirling in” when you addd it.
4. ADD the nut rim. Use a dinner knife blade or a small spoon to place the nuts evenly.
5. ADD the fruit to freeze with the pie; or reserve it until you are ready to serve, for a fresh fruit garnish. Either way, freeze the pie until ready to serve.
Comments are closed.