Yes, you can eat the eyeballs—they’re good for you!
Updated October 2007
Bloody Eyeball Martini & Bleeding Brain Martini
Halloween Trick And Treat Cocktails
Halloween is for adults, too. Plan your own bash and serve these spooky twists on the martini—frightfully delicious Halloween martinis. They will delight your guests, but be a responsible host: Control the number served, and don’t turn your revelers into road monsters.
Bloody Eyeball Martini
This cocktail, by Kris Plazek, founder of WhatToDrink.com, creates a radish and olive “eyeball,” which is frozen into an ice cube.
Ingredients Per Cocktail
The “eyeballs” should be prepared a day before you plan to use them.
Preparation Of “Eyeballs”
- Peel radish, leaving thin streaks of red skin on to represent blood vessels.
- Using the tip of the vegetable peeler or a small knife, carefully scoop out a small hole at the top of the radish, roughly the size of an olive.
- Stuff a green olive, pimiento side out, in each hole.
- Place 1 radish eyeball in each section of an empty ice cube tray. Pare the radishes down a bit to fit, if necessary. Fill the tray with water and freeze overnight.
- Place gin and vermouth in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Gently shake and pour, straining the ice, into a martini glass.
- Garnish with an olive eyeball.
|Begin with a radish.
||Steps 1 & 2: Peel radish, leaving thin streaks
of red skin. Scoop out a small hole at the top, the size of an olive.
|Steps 3 & 4: Stuff an olive into the hole and freeze radishes in ice cubes.
Bloody Brain Martini
Your guests don’t have to be zombies from Night of the Living Dead to clamor for these bloody brains. The recipe is courtesy of Plymouth Gin.
- 1-1/2 ounces gin
- 1-1/2 ounces lychee nectar
- 1/2 ounce chilled saké
- Fresh lychee fruit
- Red food coloring
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add gin, lychee nectar and chilled saké. Stir until well-chilled and strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with a fresh lychee and add a drop of red food coloring to create the effect of a bleeding brain.
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.