It doesn’t take much to turn a bowl of carrot soup into something glamorous. Here, a swirl of heavy cream, a parsley spring and some gourmet flatbread (“croccantini”)from La Panzanella do the trick. Photo courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Make Homemade Or Prepared Soup Better With These Serving Suggestions
CAPSULE REPORT: Turn that bowl of soup into something truly exciting with these ideas from Kettle Cuisine, America’s leading brand of premium soups, including vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free and certified organic soups. Find them in the freezer section (see all the varieties at KettleCuisine.com). This is Page 1 of three pages of soup garnish suggestions. Click on the black links below to visit other pages. Find garnish ideas for other types of food in our article, Garnish Glamour.
Take a minute to garnish, and a bowl of soup will never be “just a bowl of soup” again. Just use one or more of these garnish groups, mixing and matching as appropriate for the recipe:
- Bread: Artisan bread, crackers, croutons, flatbread, pita, toasts
- Dairy: Crème fraîche, grated/shaved cheese, heavy cream, sour cream, yogurt, quark
- Herbs & Spices: Fresh herbs taste best, but dried herbs as a backup
- Fruit: Apple slices, dried berries and cherries, fresh berries, grapes, lemon and lime slices, melon balls, pear slices, diced pineapple
- Vegetables: Cooked or raw to match the soup, e.g. a broccoli floret or carrot slice atop broccoli or carrot soup
If you have a favorite soup garnish, let us know. You may see it published here.
Pick Your Soup:
Black Bean Soup
- Top with a dollop of guacamole and sour cream and a teaspoon of chopped jalapeño chiles
- Top with a slice of hard boiled egg or chopped hard boiled egg, thin slices of lime and chopped cilantro
Butternut Squash Soup
- Top with a spoonful of plain yogurt, crème fraîche or unsweetened whipped cream
- Garnish with very thin slices of red apple, raw or grilled
- Top with toasted, slivered almonds, chopped hazelnuts, fresh-snipped chivesor candied ginger
- Garnish with fresh plain yogurt or creme fraîche (and nuts, chives or ginger, too)
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Serve over rice
- Serve with some or all of these toppings: shredded lettuce, diced
tomatoes, grated Cheddar or Jack cheese, sour cream and crumbled tortilla chips
- Bake in a shallow dish topped with cheese and serve with whole chips
- Top with chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Add meat with a topping of pulled pork, crumbled bacon or shredded BBQ chicken
- Serve with grilled shrimp or scallops
- Serve in a deep soup dish lined with grilled or fried thin-sliced bread
- Garnish with shredded Cheddar cheese and sour cream
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or chives and finely diced and seeded red bell pepper
- Serve with regular or jalapeño cornbread
Photo: Corn chowder garnished with shrimp, courtesy of Kettle Cuisine.
Continue To Page 2: Garnishes For Soups F ~ M
Go To The Article Index Above
Find More Garnish Ideas In Our Article, “Garnish Glamour”
Some recipe ideas © Kettle Cuisine. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.