Serve this special chili over pasta or rice.
Recipe: Cherry Turkey Chili
A Twist On Turkey Chile For A Meal, Side Dish Or Snack
- 4 ounces dried tart cherries, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chopped fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 16-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- PLUS: optional pasta or rice to serve with chili
- Heat one cup of the broth. Place the cherries in a small mixing bowl. Add the hot broth and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about five minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the garlic and cook one minute longer. Do not brown the garlic. Add the turkey and cook until it is no longer pink.
- Add roasted bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, mustard and oregano. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for about two minutes. Add the tomatoes and the remaining cup of broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, cherries and cilantro. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes or until the mixture is just heated through. Season with additional salt if desired.
Recipe © Cherry Marketing Institute. All rights reserved. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Other images are the copyright of their respective owners.