Drama, beauty and great taste! Photo copyright Marco Harzing | IST.
KRIS PRASAD is Wine Editor of THE NIBBLE. He is also a gifted chef and recipe developer.
Sweet Corn Ice Cream With Melon Soup
A Stunning Dessert That’s Always In Season
We’ve taken one of our favorite Palapa Azul ice creams, Sweet Corn, and created a knockout dessert that can be enjoyed all year-round. You can satisfy your craving for sweet corn even when it isn’t in season.
The photo at the left shows the ice cream served in melon soup with corn kernels, glazed red currants and crème chantilly; but our recipe uses a compote of strawberries, which are easier to find than red currants.
Corn Ice Cream with Melon soup and a Compote of Strawberries
- Ripe honeydew melon and cantaloupe cut in 1" pieces (2 to 3 cups each)
- 2 bottles Fizzy Lizzy Pineapple Soda or 2 cups pineapple juice
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 bottle Moscato d’Asti or Asti Spumante
- Palette Fine Foods Chili Honey (or regular honey)
- 8-12 large strawberries
- Simple syrup (directions below)
- 1 two-inch stick of cinnamon
- 1 pint Palapa Azul Sweet Corn Ice Cream
- Fresh mint and currants for garnish—or—
strawberry compote recipe below
- Optional: caramelized corn kernels
Prepare The Melon Soup
- Puree the melon with the pineapple soda, and lemon juice.
- Add two cups of the wine and blend well (reserve the rest of the wine for later).
- Adjust the sweetness to taste with honey, and chill. Thin out with additional wine or water if needed.
Make A Strawberry Compote
The photo at the top shows the ice cream garnished with whipped cream, fresh currants and mint. Since currants are often tart and more decorative than edible, we’ve provided an option to add color to the dish
- Make a simple syrup by bringing 1 cup water to boil in a small saucepan. Add 1 cup granulated syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Slice in half 2 or 3 large strawberries per person. Poach in the simple syrup with the cinnamon stick over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until soft. (The pieces should not fall apart.)
- Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick and chill.
- Ladle soup into bowls no more than 1" high with a rim.
- Center 4 to 6 halves of compote and place a scoop of Palapa Azul Sweet Corn Ice Cream on top.
- Stir 1 tablespoon Chili Honey into 2/3 cup Asti wine and drizzle 2 tablespoons over each scoop of ice cream.
- Alternately, sprinkle some Gegenbauer Noble Sour PX (a very fine vinegar made with from Pedro Ximinez [PX] wine).
- Garnish with mint.
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.