Here is a healthy, flavorful grill option for health-conscious and vegetarian barbecue lovers. Photo courtesy J.M. Smucker Company.
Recipe: Farmers Market Mixed
Grill Tasting Menu
This mixed grill recipe was a finalist in the 2009 Crisco Grilling Hall Of Fame Contest. This is Page 3 of a 15-page recipe series. Click on the black links below to view other recipes. You can read more about the contest on Page 1.
Farmer’s Market Mixed
Grill Tasting Menu
A delicious side dish or a main course for vegetarians.
- 4 ears corn, with husk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Butter flavor cooking spray
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 heads fresh garlic, top 1/4-inch cut off
- 2 large fennel bulbs, halved, rubbed with lemon juice, 2-3 tablespoons of
top fronds reserved
- 4 small Italian eggplants (3 to 4 inches), halved lengthwise
- 6 very thick spring onions, such as spring vidalia onions, or 4 thin young leeks, trimmed
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend, (salt-free)
- 4 extra large eggs in the shell, room temperature
- Crushed hot red pepper, to taste
- Soak corn with sugar and a tablespoon of salt dissolved in water to cover, for about one hour. Pull back husks, remove as much silk as possible, spray kernels with butter flavor cooking spray, close up husks.
- Spray portabellas generously on both sides with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Dry-marinate 30 minutes.
- Spray grill grate, a wide grill spatula and long tongs with no-stick spray. Prepare a medium-hot direct fire for a gas or charcoal grill.
- Spray garlic bulbs with olive oil spray; wrap in double layer of foil. Grill 30 minutes, or until very soft. Grill corn, turning occasionally, 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove husks.
- Spray fennel and eggplant on all sides with olive oil spray. Brush spring onions with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle cut sides of eggplant and fennel with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Grill fennel cut side down until grid marked, turn using spatula and grill 4-5 minutes longer, and 8-10 minutes total. Repeat with eggplant halves. Grill spring onions 5-6 minutes until slightly charred, turning with long tongs. Grill portabellas gill side down 5 minutes, turn and grill 5 minutes longer, until tender and juicy.
- Place eggs on cooler section of grill, in a vegetable grill basket if available. Cook 20 minutes, turning over twice. Cool in a bowl of ice water, peel and halve.
- Arrange vegetables and eggs on a warmed platter. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds.
- Squeeze garlic pulp from skins. Place 2 tablespoons in a spouted measuring cup or small pitcher. Add 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of crushed peppers, stir to combine. Serve at table for drizzling.
- Serving suggestion: Follow with an assortment of excellent cheeses and fruit.
Continue To Page 4: Garlicky Grilled Pizzas
With Grilled Shrimp, Feta
& Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Go To The Recipe Index Above
Recipe copyright 2009 J.M. Smucker Company. All rights reserved. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.