A pomegranate sauce for your gefilte fish will make everyone ask for more. Photo by Kelly Cline | IST.
Recipe: A New Take On Gefilte Fish
Try This Pomegranate, Beet & Horseradish Sauce
Pomegranate juice is naturally tart, with a rich sweetness. The arils (the seeds, surrounded by succulent fruit) are beautiful, and often used by chefs to add color as well as flavor to dishes. This recipe combines pomegranate with beet and horseradish for a sweet-and-savory sauce that is sure to surprise and delight.
Use your favorite gefilte fish recipe. Then, make that delicious but pale fish the brightest plate on the table with this vibrant red sauce of
pomegranate, beet and horseradish. The recipe is courtesy of Ann Kleinberg, who has written the cookbook on pomegranates (more about it below). We’ll be using the rest of the pomegranate syrup required by this recipe for Ann’s delicious Curried Chicken Salad with Grapes, Pecans and Pomegranate Vinaigrette.
- 4 to 6 portions gefilte fish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- Dash of kosher salt
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup pomegranate syrup
(available at Moninstore.com)
- ½ cup pomegranate juice (POM Wonderful or other brand)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cooked beet, cubed
- 1 teaspoon red horseradish
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the onion, carrot and garlic. Sauté over medium heat until the onion turns golden and the carrots start to soften.
- Add the salt, pepper, wine, sugar, pomegranate syrup and pomegranate juice. Return to high heat until the mixture starts to boil and then lower the heat; cook at a simmer while the mixture reduces by 1/3.
- Add the lemon juice, beets and horseradish and cook for an additional 5 minutes. At the very end, add the pomegranate seeds and remove from heat.
- Arrange the gefilte fish on individual serving plates. Pour the sauce over each piece of fish and serve.
Recipe and © Ann Kleinberg. All rights reserved. Other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.