Simple and delicious.
Product Reviews / Main Nibbles / Vegetables
Recipe: Leek & Wakame
With Sweet Miso Sauce
This simple yet elegant and delicious Japanese side dish goes with many different types of meals, hot and cold. It is ideal for springtime, when leeks are in season. The delicate flavor of the leeks is accentuated by the umami flavor present in the miso and wakame seaweed.
- 2 leeks
- 3.5 ounces hot water
- 2 ounces dried wakame
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Japanese mustard (wasabi)
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Place the hot water and leeks in a deep pan, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain, leave to cool and cut into 1" pieces.
- Soak the wakame and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Make the sauce of miso, sugar, wasabi and rice vinegar: mix together well, then toss with leeks and wakame.
- The dish can be served at room temperature or chilled.
|You can purchase wakame and other ingredients at many Whole Foods Markets and natural products stores.
Recipe and photo © UMAMI Information Center. All rights reserved. All other material © copyright 2005-
2015 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.