A modern version of the Black Forest Cake from Morton’s The Steakhouse.
Black Forest Cake
Page 3: Recipe, Continued
This is Page 3 of a four-page recipe. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
3. Cherry Filling Ingredients
Brandy or rum can be substituted for the Kirsch.
- Two 16-ounce cans pitted tart cherries in
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Kirsch (optional)
|Kirsch is colloquially known as cherry schnapps, meaning fruit brandy or liqueur.
Cherry Filling Preparation
- Drain liquid from canned cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, reserved cherry liquid and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens, approximately 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in butter and vanilla extract; fold in cherries. Set aside to cool.
4. Kirsch Syrup Ingredients (Optional)
Make this syrup if you plan to use Kirsch in the recipe.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 water
- 1/4 cup Kirsch
Kirsch Syrup Preparation
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in Kirsch. Let cool.
Here, miniature chocolate chips are used as
part of the chocolate decor. Photo by Oksana Struk | IST.
5. Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- During assembly (see below), whip cream with an electric mixer at high speed, using the paddle attachment.
6. Chocolate Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1/2 quart heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- Using a small chilled bowl, whip ingredients together until soft peaks form. Set aside.
Cherry topping is a tastier alternative to most maraschino cherries. Photo by Jack Puccio | IST.
Now that you’ve baked and simmered and whipped all of the components to perfection, you’re ready for the final challenge: putting them all together into one picturesque masterpiece.
Go To Page 4: Assembling The Cake
Go To The Article Index Above
Recipe © Morton’s The Steakhouse. Other material