These S’mores are made from gourmet graham crackers with marshmallow filling, dipped in Godiva’s milk or dark chocolate. Who needs a campfire?
KAREN HOCHMAN, Editorial Director of THE NIBBLE, would walk a mile for a S’more (well, make that a dozen).
S’mores: Handmade & Delicious
Delivered From Recchiuti Confections Or At Your Nearest Godiva Boutique ... Plus A Recipe To Make Your Own S’Mores
CAPSULE REPORT: Like Camelot, Godiva’s S’mores are here for one brief, shining moment—from the end of July through September. Handmade in each Godiva shop, they’re the perfect treat to celebrate National S’mores Day (August 10)—or every day of their fleeting existence. After their gone, make your own with the S’mores recipes below.
S’mores are cookie sandwiches: two graham crackers with marshmallows and chocolate in-between. The original recipe that first appeared in the Girl Scouts handbook in 1927 was a camping recipe: A marshmallow was toasted over the fire on a twig, a piece of chocolate was broken from a Hershey bar, the two were sandwiched in-between two graham crackers, and the heat from the marshmallow melted the chocolate. Mmmm. The S’more got its name because everyone wanted “some more.”
Godiva and Recchiuti Confections both have a slightly different twist on the cookie. While Recchiuti makes a classic S’mores Kit (one of our Top Picks Of The Week), using handmade marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers that you assemble yourself, they’ve recently launched ready-to-eat S’mores bites (in photo at right). Fresh-made Recchiuti marshmallows atop tiny handmade graham crackers and blanketed in pure bittersweet chocolate, they’re perfect petit fours to serve with coffee and will have everyone calling for S’more! Godiva’s S’mores (photo at top left) are honey graham cracker sandwiches, handmade at Godiva boutiques with vanilla bean marshmallow creme in-between the two grahams, with the outside dipped and drizzled in chocolate.
If you define a S’more as having a hot, toasted marshmallow that melts the chocolate it’s paired with, this makes the Godiva product more of a specialty chocolate graham cracker sandwich. Whatever you call them, just call them over—they’re delicious and perfect to celebrate National S’mores Day, August 10.
And why stop at August 10? Both are available through the end of the month, so make hay (or, eat S’mores) while the sun shines.
Other Ways To Celebrate
You can vary your S’mores experience by making your own at a S’mores party, (with several of our inventive variations). If you do have a party, you might want to give each guest a Godiva S’mores favor, so they won’t wake up with an empty longing the next day.
|TRY MAKING S’MORES WITH GOURMET MARSHMALLOWS LIKE
S’mores are simple to make. They have only three ingredients, so the finer quality each of them are, the better the sandwich. We personally use Tiny Trapeze or Starr Ridge graham crackers, Tiny Trapeze* marshmallows, and the best chocolate bar available (read our Chocolate Section to see our favorites). Just because it’s being melted doesn’t mean you won’t taste the quality.
*The Tiny Trapeze brand is available at Whole Foods Markets.
For each S’more, you’ll need:
- 2 graham crackers
- 1 large marshmallow
- 1 square of chocolate, equal to ¼
of a 1.5-ounce bar
(milk or dark chocolate—your
S’mores with Tiny Trapeze graham crackers
and a Tiny Trapeze chocolate marshmallow.
Mmmm! Photo by Elton Lin.
- Toast the marshmallow over an open flame until it begins to brown—about a minute, depending on how “toasty” you like your marshmallows. We use a fondue fork and hold the marshmallow over our gas stove, but you can use a candle. See “Toasting Techniques,” below.
- Place the chocolate on a graham cracker. Top with the toasted marshmallow and place a second graham cracker on top, pressing down slightly.
- OVEN PREPARATION METHOD: Place the graham crackers on baking sheet with the chocolate squares on top. Place a marshmallow atop each piece of chocolate. Place in a preheated 350F° oven for 4 to 6 minutes, until the marshmallow begins to melt and the chocolate softens. Remove and top each piece with the second graham cracker.
- MICROWAVE METHOD: Microwave on high for 15 to 20 seconds, or until the marshmallows puff.
NOTE: The oven and microwave methods are a faster ways to create more sandwiches, but you lose the “toasted marshmallow” flavor.
Marshmallow Toasting Techniques
Thanks to our friends at Plush Puffs for these tips:
- Use a long utensil that is preferably not all metallic—metal conducts heat and the utensil can become too hot to hold. Use a bamboo skewer, fondue fork or a metal fork with a plastic or wooden handle. The longer, the better.
- For best results, hold the marshmallow about two inches away and turn it continuously. This way the marshmallow melts from the inside out and browns evenly.
- Once it begins to melt (it will loosen a bit on the utensil), bring it a bit closer to the flame and brown the outside as evenly as you can.
S’mores Recipe Variations
- Vary the chocolate: Try a chocolate toffee bar, a spicy “Aztec chocolate” bar or a coconut chocolate bar.
- Vary the marshmallow: Try a toasted coconut marshmallow or one of the delicious flavored marshmallows, from chocolate to espresso to cinnamon, like Plush Puffs gourmet marshmallows.
- Vary the cookie. It isn’t sacrilege, it’s nouvelle! Substitute chocolate chip, devil’s food or oatmeal cookies for the graham crackers.
One of our favorites S’mores recipes: Chocolate graham crackers with chocolate marshmallows and Lindt’s white coconut chocolate bar.
O.K.—now we’re really ready for s’more.
- $3.00 Each
Dipped In Milk Chocolate
Or Dark Chocolate
Purchase at Godiva boutiques nationwide. For a store locator visit Godiva.com or phone 1.800.GODIVA.
Purchase online at Recchiuti.com
S’mores—we want more! Available for a limited time only from Recchiuti.com.
Prices and flavor availability are verified at publication but are subject to change. Shipping is additional.
© Copyright 2005-
2014 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.