The “new comfort food”: That’s a Cappuccino Cocktail in that espresso cup, with Cinnamon S’Mores.
Updated May 2010
Recipes: Tortilla Chip & Cocktail Pairings
Page 2: S’Mores On Cinnamon Tortilla Chips With A Cappuccino Cocktail
This is Page 2 of a four-page article. Use the links below to navigate through all the recipes.
Tortilla chip recipes don’t have to stop at dessert. Cinnamon tortilla chips are a classic Mexican sweet (and have you had a dessert tortilla at a Mexican restaurant, laden with cinnamon and topped with vanilla ice cream?). Food Should Taste Good’s cinnamon chip is a complex layering of flavors: corn, salt, cinnamon and a bit of sugar. It’s delicious with a cup of coffee (NOTE TO STARBUCKS: Sell these!), or as a snack with hazelnut spread, Nutella or individual ramekins of chocolate fondue.
Of course, you can serve the chips plain with the Cappuccino Cocktail envisioned by Chef Laurent Tourandel and his team. But if your guests enjoy something sweet, make the Cinnamon S’mores. The chips take the place of a graham cracker. This concept works for both cocktail hour and dessert. Also consider it for Cinco de Mayo.
Read our full review of Food Should Taste Good Tortilla Chips, a NIBBLE Top Pick Of The Week, gluten-free and certified kosher.
Yields 8-10 servings.
- 1 bag cinnamon tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips or other dark chocolate
(we use a good chocolate bar)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large handful of marshmallows, sliced into thirds
(we use our favorite artisan vanilla or cinnamon marshmallows—
Laura’s Candy makes affordable gourmet marshmallows for everyday)
- Preheat broiler.
- Create a double boiler: In a small saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil. Place a small bowl on top of the saucepan, making sure there is space between the bottom of the bowl and the boiling water.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until fully melted. While the chocolate is melting, line a cookie sheet with tinfoil. Then, add rows of cinnamon chips to the sheet and place a marshmallow slice on each chip.
- Put cookie sheet under the broiler until marshmallows are golden brown. With a small spoon, drizzle the melted chocolate over the warmed marshmallow. Serve immediately.
Cinnamon tortilla chips are barely sweetened, so they can be enjoyed with certain savory dips as well.
Ingredients Per Cocktail
- 1 ounce vanilla vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur
- 1 ounce espresso
- 1/2 ounce Irish cream liqueur
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Powdered cinnamon, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with
- Shake well.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and
sprinkle with powdered cinnamon.
Use espresso cups to serve these Cappuccino
Cocktails—a “trompe l’oeil” effect. Photo
by Monk Pesky | IST.
Continue To Page 3: Guacamole & Watermelon Basil Martini
Go To The Recipe Index Above
Recipes courtesy 2009 BLT Market. All rights reserved. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.