These cupcake burgers are pretty sweet—hold the pickles please! Photography courtesy I Heart Cuppy Cakes.com.
Last Updated June 2013
Recipe: Mini Hamburger Cupcakes
Cheeseburgers For Dessert!
With all the buzz surrounding sliders and other incarnations of the two-bite burger, it was only a matter of time before at least one creative baker took things into her own hands. While these treats may not pack the same protein punch as a beef or turkey burger, a crowd pleaser like cupcakes, conceptually crossed with America’s favorite food, the hamburger, will create even more of a rush. They’re a memorable ending to a barbecue, birthday party or shower. It’s a good thing each recipe serves 24.
Clara, creator of iheartcuppycakes.com, provides you with all you need to know for turning out batch after batch of these fluffy cupcake sliders. If your crowd is more “Sex In the City,” see our Girly Girl cupcake recipe.
- 24 vanilla cupcakes
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
- Sesame seeds
- Clear vanilla extract (available from Wilton)
- Yellow fondant
- 2 cups of your favorite frosting (we like cream cheese frosting)
- Red and green food coloring
Use a cake turntable to make piping the frosting easier.
- Bake vanilla and chocolate cupcakes per your favorite recipe. Let cool completely.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls; mix one with green and one with red food coloring.
- Cut each vanilla cupcake in half to make the “buns.” Brush the top of one vanilla half with clear vanilla extract and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut the top off each chocolate cupcake and discard or reserve for snacking. Then cut each chocolate cupcake in half. One chocolate cupcake equals 2 burger patties.
- To make the cheese: Roll out yellow fondant about 1/8″ thick for “cheese slice.” Cut a shape with 2.5×2.5” square cookie cutter.
Assemble the Cupcakes
- Using a leaf tip and green frosting, pipe the “lettuce” onto the bottom half of the vanilla cupcakes (see photo above). A cake turntable or lazy susan will facilitate the process.
- Place a chocolate cupcake “patty” on top of the "lettuce." Then add fondant “cheese.”
- Using a wide, round tip, pipe a red frosting circle for the “tomato” on top of the “cheese.” Top with vanilla cupcake sesame “bun."
On a “sesame seed bun.”
Recipe courtesy iheartcuppycakes.com. All rights reserved. Other material © copyright 2005-