Homemade five-spiced bacon makes this salad something truly special.
Recipe: Bacon Salad With A Twist
Mixed Greens With Five-Spiced Bacon & Poached Egg
This recipe takes a bacon salad, a classic French bistro dish, and gives it an innovative twist with Chinese five spice-scented apples and candied bacon. Serve it for brunch or as a luncheon salad.
Yields 6 servings.
Candied Bacon Ingredients
- 8 ounces slab bacon, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 6 to 8 slices)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 large Fuji apple, cored and thinly
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black
- 8 cups assorted micro-greens or
European mixed salad greens
In the combination of Chinese five spice and artisan-cured pork, hand-crafted artistry merges with a harmonious Asian blend to create an innovative taste sensation.
Poached Eggs Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- Chinese five spice (for garnish)
- For the candied bacon*, preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange bacon slices in single layer on foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in oven 15 minutes or until bacon edges begin to curl.
- Remove pan from oven. Carefully drain drippings into a glass measuring cup. Set aside.
- Microwave honey and Chinese five spice in small microwavable bowl on HIGH 30 seconds, stirring after 15 seconds. Brush bacon with honey mixture. Bake 10 minutes longer or until bacon is browned and crisp.
- Carefully drain any additional drippings into measuring cup. Cool bacon on wire rack. Break into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- For the salad, mix water, lemon juice and Chinese five spice in small bowl. Add apple slices; toss to coat well.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the warm bacon drippings, vinegar, shallots, mustard and pepper in small bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- For the poached eggs, fill large deep saucepan with 2 inches of water. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Break 1 egg into small dish. Carefully slide egg into simmering water (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Repeat with remaining eggs. Poach eggs 3 to 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. Carefully remove eggs with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- To serve, divide greens among 6 plates. Top each with a poached egg. Sprinkle eggs with additional Chinese five spice. Arrange drained apple slices and bacon around salad. Warm dressing if needed and drizzle over salads. Serve immediately.
*To use pre-cut thick-sliced bacon to prepare the candied bacon: In step 1, bake in preheated 400°F oven for 5 minutes or until bacon edges begin to curl. In step 3, bake 5 to 10 minutes or until bacon is browned and crisp.
Recipe© 2008 McCormick. All rights reserved. Other material