This crab salad with lemongrass and mint pays homage to Thailand, where the blue crab is caught and canned. It showcases the beautiful white jumbo lump crab meat.
Last updated May 2010
Crab Meat Recipes
Page 2: Crabe En Coquille Jacques & Crab Salad Recipe
This is Page 2 of a three-page article. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
Crabe En Coquille
Made with scallops instead of crab, this dish is known as Coquilles Saint-Jacques.
- 3 cans Miller's Select Jumbo
Lump Crab Meat
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons shallots, finely
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, finely
chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 4-6 scallop shells or
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese
Scallop shells make beautiful serving pieces for this crab dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt half the butter and add flour, stirring with a wire whisk. Add milk and stir vigorously. When sauce has thickened, add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan and cook shallots briefly. Stir Cognac and tarragon into the shallots, then add crab and heat briefly without breaking lumps. Add half the sauce to the crab and fill shells evenly with crab mixture. Grate cheese on top of crab mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes. Heat remaining sauce and spoon over the individual shells; garnish with whole tarragon sprigs.
Serve with Chardonnay or white Burgundy.
Crab Salad with Lemongrass and Mint
- 2 cans Miller’s Select Jumbo Lump
- 1 tablespoon Thai chili paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 minced chile pepper
- 1 stalk lemongrass, very thinly
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly
- 2 tablespoons coarsely-snipped
- 1/3 cup coarsely-snipped mint
- Halved mint leaves
- Romaine lettuce
Jumbo lump crab meat makes an impression in salads where it’s the featured ingredient—not mixed with mayonnaise. For a mayonnaise based salad, you can use Select White or even Claw crab meat.
- Mix chili paste, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chilies, lemongrass and onion; toss.
- Add drained crab meat, cilantro and mint. Serve on Romaine with mint.
Continue To Page 2: Crab Dip, Crab Salad, Crab En Coquille
Go To The Article Index Above
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.