A Delicious Dinner Pairing Beer With Each Course
Page 5: Indonesian Beef Rendang
This is Page 5 of a seven-page article. To visit the other pages, click on the black links below.
Indonesian Beef Rendang
Hawaii-born brewer Fal Allen seeks out Asian pantry ingredients to flavor new brews, such as the Archipelago Trader Brown Ale made with gula melaka (palm sugar—see our Sugar Glossary) and fresh young ginger root. “Alamak, so good, it broke da mout,” says Allen of this recipe. Serve it with steamed rice.
Yields 6 servings.
- Beer Pairing: Spiced ale or imperial brown ale.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, about 1⁄4
- 6 large shallots, chopped, about 1
- 3 ounces red chile peppers, seeded
and finely chopped*
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated galangal
(or 2 tablespoons freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated turmeric
root (or 1 tablespoon powdered
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated coriander
root (or 1 teaspoon powdered
Galangal, or blue ginger. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (see the different types of lime)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 4 ounces tamarind paste
- 2-1⁄2 pounds beef chuck roast, well trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Fresh minced cilantro leaves
*Use caution in handling hot peppers, and wash hands thoroughly before touching eyes. See our Chile Glossary for the different types of chiles.
- In large Dutch oven or 3-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat; add garlic, shallots and chiles as soon as oil heats, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes. Add galangal, turmeric, coriander, black pepper, ginger, lemongrass, bay leaves, lime leaves and salt; sauté 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and tamarind paste and simmer until liquid becomes oily. Add beef cubes and stir frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Coconut milk mixture should reduce to a thick gravy and turn dark brown. Serve with steamed rice and garnish with freshly minced cilantro leaves.
Go To Page 6: Cheese Course
Go To The Article Index Above