With some Asian fish sauce and more familiar ingredients, you can create these delicious Vietnamese pancakes at home.
Recipe: Vietnamese Pancakes
Asian Surf & Turf
If there’s no great Vietnamese restaurant in your neighborhood, you can still enjoy these delicious, savory pancakes. Sure to be a hit at home, they’re an omelet filled with “surf and turf”—shrimp and pork loin. Whether you want to brighten up a chilly autumn evening or serve lighter fare in warmer months, they’re sure to be a hit.
Marinating the prawns and pork, which already contain umami flavors, in the umami-rich fish sauce, ensures maximum taste. Learn about umami, the fifth taste. Serves 4.
- 20 medium shrimp, shelled
- 5 ounces pork loin, cut into slices
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (nam pla or other sauce, available at Asian markets)
- Pinch of MSG
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 teaspoons (1 ounce) mustard green leaves or lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (mint, basil and/or shiso leaves)
- 2/3 cup rice flour
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron powder
- 6 ounces coconut milk
- 7 ounces water
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 dried red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pinch of MSG
- Marinate the prawns and pork loin with the fish sauce and umami seasoning for 30 minutes.
- Mix the rice flour, green onions, saffron powder, coconut water and milk. Heat some vegetable oil in a pan, add 1/4 of the mixture and fry a large, thin pancake. Put 1/4 of the prawn and pork mixture on the pancake.
- Reduce the heat to medium and fry until the edge curls slightly. Add 1/4 of the bean sprouts, and fry until the underside of pancake is golden and crispy. Fold the pancake in half, remove and put on a plate. Make 4 large pancakes.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients well. To eat, roll the pancake up together with the herbs in a mustard green leaf or lettuce leaf and dip in the sauce.
Recipe and recipe image courtesy of Seaboard Foods. All rights reserved. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Other images are the copyright of their respective owners.