Organic coffee beans are added to some of these delicious energy bars: You get your coffee and your grains in each bite!
ELIZABET TRAVIS is a writer in New York City.
Wings Of Nature Energy Bars
Vegan, Kosher, Organic & Delicious
CAPSULE REPORT: We’ve tasted a lot of energy bars, but this is the first we’ve chosen to write about. Does that make it the best energy bar? Well, it sure tastes good, and it’s made of the right stuff. Gluten free, cholesterol free, trans fat free, non GMO, vegan, certified kosher and organic, the one thing these bars are full of is good taste. Enjoy them for snacks and energy boosters, crumble them as dessert toppings and be creative. The only fly in the ointment is all but one of eight the bars have peanuts in the mix. While many people can have no nuts of any kind, enough people need to avoid peanuts in particular that Wings Of Nature might want to consider offering more peanut-free or nut-free varieties.
Many of us wake up every morning with little time to grab some breakfast and a cup of coffee. As a result, we end up hungry, tired and possibly cranky. What if you could grab breakfast and coffee with one hand, unwrap it and go? That’s the idea behind Wings of Nature Coffee and Nut Bars. They are packaged like any granola bar, except that they have the added kick and crunch of whole roasted coffee beans. There’s even a decaf version! If coffee’s not your thing, but you’d still like a nutritional pick-me-up, then one of the company’s equally tasty Fruit and Nut Bars will step up.
We’ve tried many chewy granola bars, but none of them has as much healthful flavor and surprising crispness as Wings of Nature. You can also feel good about supporting a company that works by the motto, “We are committed to connecting people and nature through food.” This is exactly what they’ve done. The bars are cholesterol free, low sodium, vegan, gluten free, 100% natural and organic. They are lightly sweetened with agave syrup and brown rice syrup, which help keep blood sugar levels lower than regular sugar.
All of the bars contain fruit and nuts, crisp brown rice, natural sweeteners and a spice or two; the Coffee and Nut Bars also have those great organic roasted coffee beans, making these bars as wholesome as they come. The company keeps the bars as nutrient-rich as possible by neither baking nor cooking them. A “cold process” is used that allows the bars to maintain their natural flavor and texture while preserving the vitamins and minerals in the fruits, nuts and grains.
Wings of Nature is a member of the Organic Trade Association and the Organic Coffee Collaboration, whose goal is to raise consumer awareness of organic coffee in the United States and to convert conventional coffee production to organic production methods. The company has also formed a partnership with Coffee Kids, Inc., which is a nonprofit organization that works in coffee-producing regions of Mexico, Central America and Latin America. They help foster education programs to create a more sustainable and independent community by promoting long-term self-sufficiency for coffee farmers and their families. Wings of Nature is a company with a cause and a tasty product.
Read more about organic coffee—products and issues—in our NutriNibbles section.
Coffee Kids, Inc. helps foster education programs to create long-term self-sufficiency for coffee farmers and their families.
The Wings of Nature bars are chewy, crunchy, complex and sophisticated. The fruit bars have more appeal than many we have tasted; the coffee and nut bars are clearly original. At 140 to 190 calories, packed with goodness, natural flavors and no cloying sweetness, the bars provide great energy and palate satiation at any time of day. Coffee lovers will want to check out the Coffee & Nut Bars, fruit fans the Fruit and Nut Bars. Like both coffee and fruit? You’re lucky: You get to have them all!
Coffee & Nut Bars
These bars are based on crisp brown rice, sweetened with agave syrup and brown rice syrup. Each is layered with flavor from different combinations of nuts and seeds. All of the coffee bars have peanuts in the blend—delicious but unfortunate for folks with peanut allergies.
- Café Mocha Bar is sweet, with dates and milky shredded coconut that blends well with the coffee beans and subtle mocha flavoring. Dry roasted peanuts and almonds add flavor and crunch.
- Cappuccino Bar has a mellow coffee flavor, with a cinnamon spice and nuttiness truly reminiscent of its namesake’s drink. The flavors are layered with raisins, almonds, peanuts and sunflower seeds.
- Espresso Bar is strong and crunchy, full of roasted coffee beans, but mellowed by the chewy raisins. Brazil nuts, walnuts and sunflower seeds add complexity.
- Raspberry Decaf Bar offers coffee without the caffeine, plus a subtle raspberry flavor (from the whole dried raspberries in the bar) that is truly like biting into a gourmet treat. The raspberries are joined by almonds, coconut, raisins and peanuts.
Photos by Dhanraj Emanuel.
Fruit & Nut Bars
Here, too, all of the bars have peanuts except for Almond Raisin.
- Apple Cinnamon Bar tasted most like a traditional granola bar, because it includes rolled oats in addition to the crisped rice. Dried apples, almonds, peanuts and raisins are wedded with a hint of cinnamon.
- Almond Raisin Bar is chewy and crunchy, with sweet raisins and a nice sunflower seed background, accented with sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds on a base of crisp brown rice.
- Cranberry Crunch Bar has the wonderful flavor and texture of whole dried cranberries, with buttery rich peanuts and a light sesame seed accent. Raisins, almonds and pumpkin seeds round out the bar.
- Nutty & Sweet Mixnut Bar is given a light crispy quality by the puffed brown rice, but stays true to name as it is loaded with crunchy Brazil nuts and walnuts, along with peanuts and plump raisins.
This is the perfect breakfast or snack for anyone who loves nuts and seeds, but especially those who love a pure and ethical product with coffee!
WINGS OF NATURE ENERGY BARS
COFFEE & NUT BARS: Café Mocha, Cappuccino, Espresso, Raspberry Decaf
FRUIT & NUT BARS: Almond Raisin, Apple Cinnamon, Cranberry Crunch, Nutty & Sweet
Certified kosher by OU
USDA Certified Organic
Purchase online at Wings-Of-Nature.com
Prices and flavor availability are verified at publication but are subject to change. Shipping is additional.
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.