Photo of granola bars courtesy of Luminous Kitchens.
STEPHANIE ZONIS focuses on good foods and the people who produce them.
Page 5h: Luminous Kitchens, Luna & MacroBars
You are reading part of a review of 38 different granola bars brands. You can return to the index of granola bar brands, go to Page 1 of the complete article or continue to the next page of reviews.
Granola Bar Reviews
“Animal free, refined sugar free, handmade organic goodness.” Note, however, that the bars are not certified organic, but use “about 90% organic ingredients.” Bar and serving sizes are listed variously in grams and ounces—confusing. First ingredient in all bars: organic rolled oats. LuminousKitchens.com.
- Apricot Bum Bar. This bar has some chewiness to it, along with a genuine oaty/grainy presence. You can taste the apricots in here, along with a light degree of sweetness. Unhappily, the inclusion of grain-sweetened chocolate chips spoils this for me. Per bar (2.3 oz.): 280 calories, 90 calories from fat, 4g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 3g fiber, 24g sugars, 7g protein.
- Hemp Bum Bar. Some chewiness with a crunch from unhulled hemp seeds. Sweet taste fading to a neutral flavor. Not enjoyable. Per bar (82g): 340 calories, 100 calories from fat, 2.5g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 5g fiber, 21g sugars, 4g protein.
- Peanut Butter Bum Bar. Slightly sticky to the touch. Chewy, with a definite peanut butter flavor highlighted by an occasional raisin or marred by the odd grain-sweetened chocolate chip. Another example of a manufacturer listing one bar as two servings; this is not done with their bars that are lower in calories and fat. One bar (3.7oz. or 104g) is listed as two servings. Per 1/2 bar (52g): 225 calories, 90 calories from fat, 2g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 3g fiber, 12g sugars, 4.5g protein.
Luna, The Whole Nutrition Bar For Women
“70% Organic, Low Glycemic, High in Calcium and Folic Acid.” Certified kosher by KOF-K Kosher Supervision. LunaBar.com
- Dulce de Leche. “Rich in Antioxidants (Vit. A,C,E).” First ingredient: LunaPro Soy Rice Crisp (soy protein isolate, organic rice flour). Bar has a caramel-looking glaze with a white, icing-like drizzle atop it. Light, crispy texture. Much too sweet. Per bar (48g): 180 calories, 25 calories from fat, 2g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 3g fiber, 14g sugars, 10g protein.
- S’mores. First ingredient: LunaPro Soy Crisp. Bottom half of bar is chocolate-dipped. Crunchy with a little chewiness. Tastes lightly of soy with some chocolate. Not very good. Per bar (48g): 180 calories, 45 calories from fat, 2g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 3g fiber, 13g sugars, 9g protein.
MacroBars Granola Delight Bar
Certified organic. First ingredient: organic brown rice syrup. Very pale color. Chewy texture with some crunch from nuts. Not good-tasting. “Excellent Source of Whole Grains, Grain Sweetened, Macrobiotic, Vegan, GMO-Free.” Per bar (57g or 2 oz.): 210 calories, 65 calories from fat, 2.5g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 3g fiber, 17g sugars, 5g protein. GoMacro.com