Charlie Trotter’s Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Whole Roasted Fig.
Updated October 2008
Sweet & Savory Cheese Ice Cream Recipes
Page 2: Ferran Adrià’s Savory Parmesan Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
This is Page 2 of a five-page article. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
Parmesan Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
From the recipe by Ferran Adrià, Chef of El Bulli
Other people want cake and ice cream for their birthdays: we want Ferrán Adria’s Parmesan Ice Cream Sandwiches. While El Bulli is 10,000 miles away and impossible to get into in any case, THE NIBBLE’s wine editor, Kris Prasad, is a gifted chef with the patience and technique to make Adrià’s complex recipes. Here is our annual birthday dish: heavenly Parmesan ice cream (savory, not sweet) with a touch of lemon marmalade, between two crunch parmesan tuiles.
Ferran Adrià’s Parmesan Ice Cream Sandwich, taken at the source: El Bulli restaurant in Las Rosas, Spain.
To Make the Ice Cream
- 5 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 pound finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Place a fine strainer over a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to a simmer. While stirring with a wooden spoon, gradually add Parmesan. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into strainer and press any solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pour mixture into a 9x12" baking dish and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until solid, about 6 hours.
To Make the Marmalade
- Using a sharp knife, cut all peel (including white pith) from lemons. Dice lemons into 1/2" cubes and transfer to a small saucepan. Add sugar and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick, about 1 hour. While marmalade is simmering, prepare Parmesan cookies, below.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
To Make the Tuiles
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 pound finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg whites and grated cheese.
- Spray two 10x15" nonstick baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Spread half of the mixture in center of each sheet. Top with a sheet of wax paper and use a rolling pin to press mixture evenly across each pan. Remove and discard wax paper.
- Bake mixture until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove pans from oven and trim dark edges. Cut remaining mixture in each pan in twelve 3" squares to make a total of 24. Using a spatula, turn the squares over and return pan to oven. Bake an additional 5 minutes; remove from oven.
To Assemble and Serve
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and place on top of a warm, damp cloth for about 5 minutes.
- Using a knife dipped in hot water, cut ice cream into twelve 3" squares.
- Place a square of ice cream on a Parmesan cookie, top with a spoonful of marmalade and top with another Parmesan cookie.
- Serve immediately or freeze until ready to serve. Makes 12 ice cream sandwiches.
NOTE: You can make the ice cream with cheddar instead of Parmesan and serve slices with apple pie or Tarte Tatin. See the recipe for sweet Cheddar ice cream below.
|El Bulli: 1998-2002
by Ferran Adria and Juli Soler
Ferran Adria is widely considered to be the most innovative, most influential, and indeed the greatest chef in the world today. El Bulli, the restaurant where he creates his masterpieces, has become a pilgrimage for food connoisseurs from around the world.
In his first book in English, Adria has created a unique guide to cooking that shows how he has raised the profession to a new art form. It presents not only El Bulli's unparalleled recipes, but an analysis of their development, philosophy, and technique. Visually stunning, El Bulli 1998-2002 is presented as a boxed set that includes the main volume, a detailed Users Guide and an interactive CD that contains each recipe, numbered and catalogued by year. At $220.50. it may be the most expensive cookbook you’ll ever buy—but it’s worth it. Click here for more information or to purchase.
Continue To Page 3: Blue Cheese Ice Cream Recipes
Go To Article Index Above
© Copyright 2005-2013 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Recipes are the copyright of their respective owners. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.