Photo of grilled sweet potato courtesy of the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission.
Recipe: Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes Stuffed With Peach Cilantro Salsa
Sweet potatoes don't always have to be cooked in the microwave or oven. Layering them atop a heated grill is just as effective for softening the insides. There's also the option to sweeten up your already sweet potatoes by stuffing them with a fruity peach cilantro salsa before serving as a side dish. Yields 4 servings.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peaches, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or mild onion
- 3 tablespoons tequila or rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 serrano chile peppers, seeded and finely minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- Four medium sweet potatoes
- Butter or vegetable oil for coating
- Prepare and combine all the ingredients except for the sweet potatoes. Mix well.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Wash 4 medium sweet potatoes and place in microwave. Cook on high 3 minutes.
- Rub outside of skins with butter or vegetable oil.
- Grill over medium hot coals about 8-10 minutes, turning frequently so skins won't burn. Test if done with a toothpick or skewer.
- Make an incision into the middle of each potato, spoon ample amounts of salsa into centers and serve.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.