Broil or grill portabellas gill side down first, to allow moisture to escape. Photo © Tracy Hebden | Dreamstime.
Portabella Mushroom Recipes
Vegetarian Meals Featuring A Meaty Mushroom
This is Page 5 of a five-page article. Click on the black links below to visit the other pages.
Baked Mushroom Parmesan
Looking to cut carbs but can’t go without having pasta sauce and cheese? Then you’ll love this pasta-free, handsome dish. Yields 4 servings.
Baked Mushroom Parmesan. Photo of courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
- Heat oven to broil (or use separate broiler), with top rack about 4 inches from broiler.
- Brush both sides of mushrooms with oil.
- Place mushrooms, gill side down, in a 9-inch baking dish.
- Broil for 4 minutes. Flip the mushrooms so they’re gill side up and broil another 4 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from baking dish and drain excess liquid.
- Reduce oven to 400°F.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce on bottom of baking dish and place mushrooms, gill side up, atop the pasta sauce.
- Sprinkle with basil, red pepper flakes and the remainder of the pasta sauce.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan and bake 5-10 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown.
- Remove and serve.
Grilled Philly Cheese Mushroom
This sandwich is more than a mouthful of tasty, grilled veggies atop gooey melted cheese. Yields 4 servings.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, core and seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grilled steak seasoning
- 4 Italian rolls, split lengthwise and
- 8 slices Provolone or American cheese or 4 ounces processed cheese spread
Grilled Philly Cheese Mushroom Sandwich. Photo courtesy of the Mushroom Council.
- Heat grill to medium, about 365°F.
- Brush both sides of mushrooms, onions and bell peppers with oil and season with steak seasoning.
- Place on grill, close the cover and cook 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove onions and peppers from grill and thinly slice as desired. Place on aluminum foil and return to grill to keep warm.
- Remove mushrooms and thinly slice.
- Lightly toast bun on grill.
- Remove peppers, onions and mushrooms and combine.
- Place cheese on each split roll and top with the mushroom mixture.
- Turn grill off and place sandwiches on grill with lid closed, 5 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Cut in half and serve immediately.
Go To The Article Index Above
Recipes copyright the Mushroom Council. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.