The tangy pop of rhubarb—balanced by the exotic warmth of roasted ginger—wakes up a spicy-sweet sauce for grilled tilapia. Photos courtesy McCormick.
Updated May 2016
Hot & Sour Tilapia Recipe
With Gingered Rhubarb Sauce
Tilapia are a large fresh water fish, and the third most important fish in aquaculture (fish farming) after carp and salmon. Originally from Africa, tilapia are now farmed worldwide. They are sometimes called St. Peter’s fish after a story in the New Testament in which the apostle Peter caught a fish with a shekel (Israeli coin) in its mouth (though the Bible does not name the species of fish).
A new take on a tilapia recipe is Hot & Sour Tilapia with Gingered Rhubarb Sauce. Ginger and rhubarb are one of McCormick’s Top 10 Flavor Pairings For 2010. (See all of the flavor pairings and recipes.)
Combining the bitter rhubarb with the wonderfully pungent roasted ginger creates exciting layers of spicy and sour, with warming notes and a powerful tang. Prep time for this dish is 20 minutes, followed by about 8 minutes of cooking time.
Yields 6 servings.
Hot & Sour Tilapia With Gingered Rhubarb Sauce
- 1 cup frozen sliced rhubarb
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sweet red chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- 1 teaspoon Sicilian sea salt (or other sea salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse-ground black
- 1 1/2 pounds tilapia
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Mix roasted ginger with rhubarb to get exciting layers of spicy and sour.
- For the rhubarb sauce, microwave rhubarb in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or just until thawed. Add pineapple, lime juice, chili sauce, cilantro and ginger; toss to mix well. Set aside.
- Mix sesame seed, sea salt and pepper. Brush fish with oil. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture.
- Grill over medium-low heat 4 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with gingered rhubarb sauce.
Recipe © Copyright 2010 McCormick. All other material