Could anything be more delicious than fried cheese paired with freshly poached pears.
Fall Cheese Recipes
Page 2: Poached Pears On Frisée With Macadamia Crusted Buttermilk Blue
This is Page 2 of an eight-page article. Click the links below to navigate among the pages. Learn more about cheese by skimming through our Cheese Glossary.
All-Cheese Dinner Menu
Poached Pears On Frisée With Macadamia Crusted Buttermilk Blue Affinée
The second recipe in our fall cheese menu was developed by Chef Matt Wolf, of Gatreau’s in New Orleans. This makes a most tempting salad course: a round of lightly fried macadamia-encrusted cheese tops a bed of frisée, also known as curly endive or chicory (read more about the different types of endive), and is served with the seasonal delight that is poached pears.
Yields 4 servings.
About Buttermilk Blue Affinée
Buttermilk Blue is an aged raw milk blue cheese, rich and creamy, without the “bite” of some other blue cheeses. It is made of raw milk from Jersey cows, and is aged for at least six months. Affinée, or tome affinée, is a mature cheese.
Macadamia Crusted Buttermilk Blue
- 8 ounces Buttermilk Blue Cheese
divided into four 2-ounce portions
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, finely
- 2 cups Riesling
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole ripe pears, peeled
Roth Käse’s Buttermilk Blue is a creamy, mild blue beauty. You can buy it online at iGourmet.
- 2 heads frisée, coarsely chopped or torn
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh-ground pepper to taste
Macadamia Crusted Buttermilk Blue Affinée
- Mold each portion of Buttermilk Blue into discs; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Place flour and macadamia nuts into two separate bowls. Dip each cheese disk in flour, then egg mixture, then nuts.
- Place cheese discs in freezer until ready for use.
- Combine first five ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add pears and simmer until tender (approximately 1 hour).
- Remove pears from liquid and allow to cool. Cut each pear in half and remove cores. Strain liquid, return to saucepan, and reduce until thickened.
- In large bowl, combine frisée and prosciutto. Toss with lemon juice, olive oil and pepper; set aside.
- For service, place frozen cheese discs in a 350°F fryer for approximately 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Evenly distribute salad on 4 large plates. Garnish each plate with one cheese disk and one pear half. Drizzle with reduced Riesling sauce.
Next Recipe: Mexican-Style Chicken Soup With Queso Fresco
Return To The Recipe Index Above
Recipe © copyright Roth Käse USA. Additional material