Hand stitched tea bags of transparent, silken mesh fabric showcase the beauty of Mighty Leaf's whole leaf tea blends.
| KAREN HOCHMAN is Editorial Director of THE NIBBLE™.
Updated November 2006
Mighty Leaf Tea
A Pioneer In Tea Aesthetics
“Artisan Teas Crafted to Infuse Your Senses,” proclaims the website of Mighty Leaf Teas, a specialty tea company that wants you to “infuse with style.”
They make style a turnkey proposition with a line of blended whole leaf teas in hand-stitched, silky mesh tea bags called Tea Pouches. The pouches are like sachets that hold beautiful leaves of tea and herbal infusions. You can admire the contents—which are especially lovely when displaying the colorful herbal tea mixtures like the chamomile tea in the photo at the left—contents before you brew your beverage.
Mighty Leaf originated the use of silken fabric tea bags, and they add considerable charm to the daily brew. In addition to providing top quality teas in a beautiful and convenient packaging, they come in a nice variety to suit your every mood and gift-giving need. (An even wider variety of loose teas are is available; though while the leaf may be mighty, it would be a shame to pass on the pretty tea bags. In this case of Mighty Leaf, the quality of what’s in the bag is equal to the quality of the loose tea.)
User-friendly tags advise exactly how long to brew each particular tea. There’s something for everyone:
- Classic Black Teas: Breakfast Americana, Darjeeling Choice Estate
- Flavored Black Teas: Bombay Chai, Earl Grey Decaf, Orange Dulce, Organic Earl Grey, Vanilla Bean
- Green Teas: Green Tea Tropical, Marrakesh Mint, Mountain Spring Jasmine, Organic Hojicha
- Herb & Fruited Teas: African Nectar, Chamomile Citrus
- Organic Teas: Organic Earl Grey, Organic Hojicha, Organic Mint Melange
Favorites in our sampling included:
- Vanilla Bean, a black tea with a nice touch of vanilla bean
- Green Tea Tropical with mango flavor, actual pineapple bits, and vibrant blue and purple flower petals
- Camomile Citrus with large pieces of orange peel, delicate golden buds of Egyptian camomile, rose hips, lemongrass, hibiscus flowers, and a carnival of other sights and tastes which brew up into the palest apricot
- Orange Dulce, a blend of both black and green teas with orange and vanilla flavor and jasmine blossoms—practically a dessert.
We made iced tea from these bags too, and were reminded at what a big difference quality makes, even in an iced tea. We used extra tea to freeze as ice cubes so as not to dilute the tea. The flavors are even more profound when iced.
Mighty Leaf has nice gift options for tea lovers: teas packaged with elegant carafes, cups, and other accoutrements. There’s lots of tea knowledge on the website.
Even if you don’t drink tea, these are teas to keep on hand if only to more elegantly serve guests who ask for a cup. The tea bags are sealed in foil pouches for freshness.
UPDATE NOVEMBER 2006: We tasted some of the new teas including a gentle Rainforest Maté with hints of cinnamon and citrus; and delightful three chocolate teas made with Scharffen Berger chocolate. With Mighty Leaf’s beautiful new gift packaging, they’re a sure-to-please gift for any chocolate-lover.
MIGHTY LEAF TEA
Gourmet Specialty Teas
- Single Flavor
15 pouches, cello wrap
- Single Flavor
100 pouches, foil wrap
- Presentation Book
9 pouches of 9 different blends
Box in 2 leatherette and 2 raffia colors
- Master Tea Pouch Sampler
100 pouches, 12 each of
9 most popular blends
- Organic Master Tea Pouch Sampler
108 pouches, 36 pouches of each of
3 organic blends
- Numerous other options
Purchase online at MightyLeaf.com
Shipping additional. Prices and flavor availability are verified at publication but are subject to change.
|The 9-unit Presentation Book is available in black or brown leatherette or green or natural raffia. Each box contains nine pouches each of Breakfast Americana, Organic Earl Grey, Bombay Chai, Green Tea Tropical, Organic Hojicha Green Tea, Mountain Spring Jasmine, African Nectar, Chamomile Citrus, and Organic Mint Mélange. Pouches are in foil wrappers so there’s no flavor migration.
|Mighty Leaf brews into spectacular iced teas.