Strawberry shortcake drizzled with strawberry consummé is downright irresistible! Photo courtesy Ritz-Carlton.
Recipe: Strawberry Shortcake
With Strawberry Consommé
Prepare yourself for layers of light, sweet, fluffy, irresistible goodness. Few desserts conjure up memories of childhood and simpler times like this tried-and-true American favorite, strawberry shortcake, courtesy of pastry chefs at the Ritz-Carlton.
Be aware that both the shortcake dough should be refrigerated for about four hours before it will be ready to bake, and the strawberry consommé should be simmered in a water bath for four hours, then given time to cool before it’ll be ready to serve. The marinated strawberries should be kept cold for about an hour before you use them to build your dessert. Yields 10 servings.
- 2 2/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, small cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg for egg wash
- 1 pinch salt for egg wash
- 3 ounces sugar in the raw
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Juice of one lemon
Marinated Strawberries & Whipped Cream
- Place flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl, and mix until well-incorporated.
- Add diced, cold butter into the mix and lightly blend with paddle until sandy texture.
- Add milk and eggs and mix until all ingredients become a dough, being careful not to over mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for about four hours in the refrigerator.
- Roll dough out until it measures about 1/2” thick. Using a 2 1/2” biscuit cutter, cut into discs and place on sheet pan on parchment paper.
- Make an egg wash with 1 beaten egg and a pinch of salt. Brush shortcakes with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar in the raw.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the strawberry consommé, place quartered strawberries in a heat-safe bowl with sugar and lemon juice.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap to create a steam chamber. Simmer in a water bath for about 4 hours or until the strawberries have released all their juice. Strain with a fine strainer or cheesecloth. Reserve juice and set aside in refrigerator.
- To make marinated strawberries, squeeze lemon juice over cut strawberries and mix with brown sugar. Place in refrigerator for about an hour.
- To assemble the dessert, split shortcakes in half. On a plate, place bottom half of shortcake. Top with 1 spoonful whipped cream, then 1 1/2 spoonfuls of marinated strawberries, then again 1 spoonful of whipped cream. Top with remaining shortcake half and pour strawberry consommé to cover plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Recipe © Ritz-Carlton. Other material