In front, dried Montmorency cherries. At rear, dried Bing cherries. Both available at ChukarCherrries.com. Photo by Melody Lan.
Recipe: Maple Cherry Syrup
A Very Special Way To Dress Up Pancakes For Brunch
In our review of Chukar Cherries, we noted that there are many delicious things to do with the delicious dried fruit. In just a few minutes, you can turn everyday maple syrup into a special topping for pancakes, waffles, French toast, cereal or yogurt.
- 3⁄4 cup real maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Juice of one orange plus 1 teaspoon of zest
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon plus 1⁄2 teaspoon of zest
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried tart cherries
- Combine maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, orange juice and zest, lemon juice and zest, butter and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a simmer and gently cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cherries; cook 1 minute.
- Serve warm syrup over pancakes or waffles.
- Makes 1-1⁄2 cups syrup.
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute, http://www.cherrymkt.org. Additional material © Copyright Lifestyle Direct, Inc. Images are copyright of their respective owners.