Avocado isn’t just for guacamole and salads. Try these delicious avocado fries.
Recipes: Vegetable Fries
Vegetarian Appetizers With Sophisticated, International Flavor
Whether you’re a vegetarian, have vegetarian guests or simply love great veggies, these vegetable fries recipes are a welcome appetizer alternative to raw veggies and dip. Even if you aren’t a fan of fried food, these starters, created by two notable New York City chefs, Julian Medina and Alex Ureña, are succulent with international flavor. Fried food has never seemed so sophisticated! Now, when someone says, “Do you want fries with that?” we say, “Absolutely!”
This is Page 1 of a two-page article. Click on the black link below to visit Page 2.
This recipe is by Julian Medina, chef/owner of Toloache restaurant in New York City, which specializes in contemporary Mexican cuisine. Serve these with ketchup, like any great fries...and serve them with a great ketchup, like one of the winners in our ketchup tasting. They are also delicious with hot Chinese mustard (the kind that goes with egg rolls, but you can mix your own with Colman’s mustard powder, also great as a meat rub). Yields 2 servings.
- 1 quart oil (for frying)
- 2 avocados, just beginning to ripen
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
Photo of avocados courtesy of California
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F.
- Cut avocados into 8 pieces lengthwise and remove the skin.
- Mix flour, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a separate bowl.
- Dip the avocado wedges in flour and then dip them in the egg-and-milk mix.
- Coat each wedge with breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with a delicious ketchup (shown below with a dab of Chinese mustard).
Continue To Page 2: Alex Ureña’s Chickpea Fries
Recipe copyright Julian Medina. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.