Enjoy a Halloween cocktail—a citrus Martini with blush of “blood” and an impaled cherry. Photo courtesy Betty Crocker | General Mills.
Product Reviews / Main Nibbles / Cocktails & Spirits
Halloween Cocktail Drinks
Is It A Bloody Vampire Martini
Or A Valentine Cocktail With An Heart?
To answer the question posed above, a cocktail with these striking looks can be renamed to serve for Halloween, Valentine’s Day or even Christmas (add a mint leaf on the skewer.
We love this citrusy Martini, developed by Betty Crocker. It gets its striking layered appearance from drops of sangria-infused simple syrup made from red wine and dark sweet cherries. Sangria is Spanish for “bleeding,” so it’s appropriate for both Halloween and Valentine’s Day bleeding hearts.
If you don’t have sangria, you can substitute a plain red wine. The cocktail will be less fruity, but equally delicious.
Bloody Vampire Cocktail Drink
Ingredients Per Cocktail
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 oz) citron (citrus) vodka
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) clear orange-flavored liqueur
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) sangria simple syrup, chilled (recipe below)
- 1 dark sweet cherry on a cocktail pick
- Martini Glass
- Ice cubes
- Cocktail Shaker
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add vodka and orange liqueur to cocktail shaker; cover and shake. Strain into martini glass. Drizzle sangria syrup into cocktail in glass. Garnish with cherry.
Sangria Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar 1 cup red wine, such as Merlot or Zinfandel
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries, stemmed, pitted and halved
(cherries are not in season, so look for frozen ones)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Strips of orange peel from 1 medium orange (orange part only, not white pith:
use a vegetable peeler)
- In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan, combine simple syrup ingredients. Heat to boiling over medium heat. Simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; let cool 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer; discard solids.
- Cover and chill sangria syrup until ready to use. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
© Recipe © Copyright Betty Crocker/General Mills. Additional material Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.