Enjoy this wild boar burger with your favorite craft beer. Photos courtesy of Bull & Bear restaurant.
Wild Boar Recipes
Page 3: Wild Boar Burger
This is Page 3 of a three-page article. Click the black links below to visit other pages.
This wild boar burger with citrus slaw is the creation of Executive Chef David Blonsky of the luxury sports barBull & Bear in Chicago. It also includes the recipe for his own barbecue sauce. This recipe has three components: The boar burger, citrus slaw and barbecue sauce. The bun is purchased.
A little “slaw” history: Slaw is a salad consisting primarily of shredded raw white cabbage. Its origin goes back to ancient Roman times, where the cabbage was mixed with vinegar—mayonnaise didn’t appear until the 18th century.
Coleslaw, also spelled cole slaw, The “cole” in cole slaw originates from the Latin colis, cabbage; the “slaw” comes from a variation of the Dutch koolsalade, or cabbage salad, shortened to koolsla.
Today, a cabbage salad is referred to as slaw, with cole slaw referring to a slaw with a mayonnaise-based dressing, often with shredded carrot, red cabbage and other vegetables. Broccoli slaw has become popular. Some people enjoy adding fruits—as in this recipe (apple and pineapple are also popular).
Coleslaw can be dressed with vinaigrette or mayonnaise. Some regional American recipes use mustard.
Citrus Slaw Ingredients
- 1/4 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Heat pickle juice, cider vinegar and sugar to boiling; cool to room temperature.
- Add to remaining ingredients and let sit overnight.
Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
- 12-ounce can cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 green onions, sliced
Barbecue Sauce Preparation
- Heat oil in medium sauce pan; sauté onions until translucent.
- Add cola an reduce by half. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- Blend sauce until a smooth consistency. Stir in sliced green onions.
Wild Boar Burger
- 2 pounds ground wild boar
- 4 slices sliced white Irish Cheddar
- 4 brioche buns (3 ounces each)
- Form boar meat into 8 oz. patties. Season with salt and black pepper and grill to desired temperature.
- Add cheese and allow to melt.
- Toast bread on grill until golden brown and crusty. Place burger on bottom bun, then place a good amount of citrus slaw on top. Ladle barbecue sauce over burger and slaw, then top with bun.
Go To The Article Index Above
Recipes © 2009 Chef David Blonsky. All rights reserved. Other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.