Candied or caramelized pecans. Photo by Daniel West | SXC.
Last Updated November 2016
Recipe: Candied Nuts ~ Almonds, Hazelnuts, Pecans & Walnuts
Delicious Snack Or Garnish
This easy recipe makes 1/2 cup of candied nuts, also known as caramelized nuts and in France, pralines. Candied nuts are great:
- As snacks.
- As garnish for cakes, cupcakes, puddings, ice cream and other treats.
- In salads with goat cheese and blue cheese.
- As sides with coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
- As gifts, in a small tin, plastic container or cellophane bag tied with ribbon.
It is best to make these in small batches to ensure that the nuts are thoroughly coated.
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar, honey or maple syrup
- For spiced nuts, use any or all: a total of 1/8 teaspoon* cinnamon, nutmeg,
cloves, allspice, cayenne and/or other favorite spice
- 1/2 cup nut halves
*Try this small amount and then increase the spices according to your preference.
- MELT the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- ADD the sugar, stirring constantly until it dissolves. Do not allow the mixture to burn.
- ADD the nuts and stir to coat thoroughly.
- POUR the nuts onto a sheet of aluminum foil and let cool, about 15 minutes. Store up to 2 days in an airtight container.