Photo of grilled sweet potato courtesy of the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission.
Recipe: Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes Stuffed With Peach Cilantro Salsa
Sweet potatoes don't always have to be cooked in the microwave or oven. Layering them atop a heated grill is just as effective for softening the insides. There's also the option to sweeten up your already sweet potatoes by stuffing them with a fruity peach cilantro salsa before serving as a side dish. Yields 4 servings.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peaches, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or mild onion
- 3 tablespoons tequila or rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 serrano chile peppers, seeded and finely minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- Four medium sweet potatoes
- Butter or vegetable oil for coating
- Prepare and combine all the ingredients except for the sweet potatoes. Mix well.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Wash 4 medium sweet potatoes and place in microwave. Cook on high 3 minutes.
- Rub outside of skins with butter or vegetable oil.
- Grill over medium hot coals about 8-10 minutes, turning frequently so skins won't burn. Test if done with a toothpick or skewer.
- Make an incision into the middle of each potato, spoon ample amounts of salsa into centers and serve.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission. Other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.