We love a “lambwich,” a.k.a. a lamb sandwich. Keep the lamb rare! Photo courtesy of Meat And Livestock Australia.
Spring Lamb Recipes
Part II: Lamb Panini Sandwich
What—you haven’t had a delicious, grilled lamb sandwich yet? If your red meat sandwich experience has been limited to beef, you’re missing out. We love lambwiches!
This is Part II in a series of four spring lamb recipes. Use the index below to click back and forth among them.
Lamb Panini Sandwich
This recipe uses lamb eyes of loin. Top with the beet relish and yogurt and enjoy with iced tea or a glass of Pinot Noir. If you don’t like beets, you can substitute a savory chutney. Prep and cook time is 35 minutes.
Fresh Beet Relish
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 baby beets, or 1 large beet, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
(we prefer Greek yogurt, which is triple strained
to remove water and make the consistency thicker)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 lamb eyes of loin
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
(Fresh oregano makes a big difference)
- Olive oil for cooking
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 panini or deluxe bread rolls, halved
- Dijon or other quality mustard, butter, lettuce
(To make your sandwich even more deluxe, choose red leaf lettuce or
other specialty variety—you can also use baby spinach or baby arugula)
First prepare the beet relish, toasting the sesame seeds in a small pan, shaking until seeds are golden and brown. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on medium to low heat for 3-4 minutes or until beets are softened and the liquid is nearly evaporated. Transfer to bowl, cover and chill.
- To prepare the dill yogurt, combine the ingredients and refrigerate. This and the beet relish can be made a day ahead.
- Prepare the lamb: Remove the sinew and season the lamb with salt, pepper and oregano. Preheat grill or barbecue. Brush the lamb with olive oil. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until springy to the touch. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and rest 5 minutes.
- Butter and grill the halved panini rolls and spread with mustard. Top with the lettuce, then lamb, either whole or thickly sliced. Serves 4.
Next Recipe: Moroccan-Style Lamb Kabobs
Recipes © copyright Meat And Livestock Australia. Additional material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Photos are copyright of their respective owners.