Shrimp Ceviche. Photo courtesy The Shrimp Council.
KAREN HOCHMAN is Editorial Director of THE NIBBLE.
Last Updated May 2018
Page 2: A Low Calorie, No Fat, High Flavor Protein Dish That’s Hard To Resist
Why Ceviche Is Good For You
Ceviche is “health food.”
- No sugar, no salt, no added fat.
- Citrus juice is high in antioxidants plus vitamin C; and a good source of potassium and folate.
- Fish and seafood are high in protein.
- Ceviche is low in calories: Most fish have 30-40 calories per ounce; shrimp and lobster have 30 calories, bay scallops 25 calories and octopus 35 calories per ounce. Added ingredients such as chile, cucumber, herbs, onion and tomato add negligible calories.
Shrimp Ceviche Recipe (Adapt It To Other Shellfish & Fish)
This dish can be made with scallops instead of shrimp, or a combination of the two. Recipe yields 2 servings. The recipe is courtesy Sea Port Products Corporation.
- 1 pound lightly cooked,* peeled and deveined shrimp
or a mixture of shrimp and other seafood (see the next page)
(you can defrost frozen shrimp or other seafood)
- 3 lemons, juiced†
- 3 limes, juiced†
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh seeded and diced tomatoes (you can substitute red bell pepper
if tomatoes are out of season)
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 bunch cilantro roughly chopped, plus leaves for garnish
*The marinade will cure the shrimp, so you don’t need to cook it fully. If using raw fish, cure for 2 hours.
†Use Meyer lemon and Key lime for more flavor nuances.
- Cook and drain shrimp. Transfer to a bowl. Add lemon and lime juices.
- Stir in cucumber, red onion and chile. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Stir in tomato, avocado and chopped cilantro. Mix gently, taste and season with salt.
- Allow to sit for about 20 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Spoon ceviche into martini glasses or small bowls.
- Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime.
- Serve with tortilla chips or fried plantain strips. See more serving suggestions on the next page.
Continue To Page 3: Make Your Perfect Ceviche Recipe
Go To The Article Index Above