Avocado, a tree fruit, makes very creamy ice cream. Photo by Taratorki | Fotolia.
Last Updated July 2010
Avocado Ice Cream Recipe
Made With Honey Instead Of Refined Sugar
CAPSULE REPORT: This is Page 2 of four pages of recipes. Click on the black links below to see other recipes.
Read more about honey in THE NIBBLE’s Honey Section—including informative articles about honey and product reviews. For more information on cooking with pure honey, visit Honey.com. To find a locally produced or special honey variety, visit HoneyLocator.com.
Honey Ice Cream Menu
Avocado Honey Lime Ice Cream Recipe
Remember that avocado is a fruit. Don’t think guacamole—think of the creaminess of the avocado and how it will add even more creaminess to the ice cream. Avocado ice cream is a great ending to any meal, but think about it when you’re serving Mexican food.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup pure honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 cup avocado purée
- Whisk together eggs, honey and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Bring the half-and-half, buttermilk and lime zest to a full simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat.
- Cover, let steep 2 hours and strain into another medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer again.
- Add 1 cup of the simmering cream mix to the egg-honey mixture while whisking (to avoid scrambling the eggs). Then return the egg and cream mixture to the saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens enough to coat a spoon and the thermometer reads 170°F to 175°F, about 4 minutes (do not boil).
- Strain into a clean bowl and allow the steam to escape, before covering and chilling until cold (at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day).
- Process the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add avocado purée halfway through freezing.
- Transfer to a bowl or tub and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours, and up to 3 days.
Continue To Page 3: Chocolate-Pecan Honey Ice Cream
Go To The Recipe Index Above
Recipe © National Honey Board. All other material