Mâche, also known as field salad, takes on a new personality with rose petals, poppy seed, strawberries and kumquats. Photo courtesy of McCormick & Company.
Recipe: Field Salad
Mâche Salad With Strawberries, Kumquats & Rose Petals
In North Africa and the Middle East, rose is a popular ingredient—as petals, essence (like extract), rose water. Here, you can find rose petal jams and, if you’re lucky, the wonderful rose water sorbet called faludeh. Poppy seeds are also Middle Eastern in influence; here, an elegant and sensuous pairing evokes the exotic while bringing something fresh and new to the table. You can use this combination in both sweet and savory preparations. Try it first in this glamorous recipe for Field Salad with Strawberries, Kumquats and Rose Petals. Rose petals combined with poppy seeds are one of McCormick’s 10 flavor trends for 2008. Read the other flavor trends.
- 2 packages (3.5 ounces each) mâche or 1 package (6 ounces)
spring mix salad greens
- 2 cups halved or quartered strawberries
- 1 cup sliced fresh kumquats or 1 jar (9.5 ounces) kumquats,
drained, rinsed and sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 24 crystallized rose petals (recipe follows)
Rose Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon rose water*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
*Rose water is available in the international aisle of some supermarkets, online specialty stores and Middle Eastern markets.
Crystallized Rose Petals
- 24 pesticide-free rose petals
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- Granulated or superfine sugar
- For the vinaigrette, mix all ingredients in medium bowl with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Divide the salad ingredients evenly among 8 salad plates. Drizzle vinaigrette over each salad. Garnish with crystallized rose petals.
Crystallized Rose Petals
- Rinse 24 unbruised, pesticide-free rose petals. Let air dry completely on paper towels. Beat sifted confectioner’s sugar, meringue powder† and
water in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed until mixed. Beat on high speed 4 to 5 minutes or until fluffy.
- Using tweezers to hold rose petal, brush a thin layer of meringue mixture on both sides of each rose petal with a small, soft paintbrush. Sprinkle both sides with granulated or superfine sugar. Let stand on wire racks for 24 hours. Store crystallized petals in airtight container between layers of wax.
Makes 8 servings.
†Meringue powder is made of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and cornstarch. It is used to prepare icings and meringue for pies and other desserts. It is available in the baking aisle of supermarkets, the cake decorating section of some craft stores or online specialty stores.
Recipe copyright McCormick & Company, Inc.
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.