Bright and beautiful asparagus paired with zesty red grapefruit. Photo courtesy
TexaSweet Citrus Marketing.
Page 6: Texas Citrus Asparagus
This is Page 6 of a nine-page article. Click the black links below to view the other pages.
On the menu:
Texas Citrus Asparagus
In this recipe, asparagus is topped with a lightly sweetened grapefruit vinaigrette for a fresh, healthy dish with radiant color. Recipe yields 4 servings.
- 2 Texas Rio Star grapefruits
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-½ pounds asparagus, trimmed
- Black pepper
- For the vinaigrette, combine shallots with vinegars and let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Zest one grapefruit (avoid the white pith). Add zest to shallots mix.
- Juice zested grapefruit to yield about 1/3 cup and add juice to shallots. Slowly mix in olive oil.
- Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and simmer until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and spread spears on paper towels to cool.
- Section remaining grapefruit. Just before serving, toss cooled asparagus with vinaigrette. Arrange spears and grapefruit sections on salad plates. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately.
Continue To Page 7: Spicy Grapefruit Salad
Go To The Article Index Above
Recipe courtesy TexaSweet Citrus Marketing. All other materials