Autumn Comfort Mac uses butternut squash, pancetta, cavatappi and a variety of cheeses. Serve it in ramekins as a first course, or large plates as a main dish.
Gourmet Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Award-Winning Mac & Cheese So Good, You’ll Want To Throw A Party To Make Each Recipe
Last year, we published an incredible collection of award-winning macaroni and cheese recipes from Tillamook’s annual competition. We’re thrilled to present this year’s winners. If you have a recipe that’s a national contender, check with Tillamook Cheese for the 2008-2009 competition rules; the contest opens on July 28, 2008.
Each award-winning recipe is on a separate page. Use the index to click among them. And enjoy!
WHEN YOU THINK “MAC & CHEESE,” THINK BEYOND ELBOW MACARONI.
In fact, most award-winning recipes use other shapes.
See the different pasta shapes in our
Autumn Comfort Mac Recipe
This recipe was created by Veronica Vadakan, the Portland Regional 2007 Winner and and First Runner Up in the 2008 Grand Finale.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- 1/2 cup Tuscan blend shredded cheese mix
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, toss butternut squash pieces with olive oil. Spread squash pieces in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway. Remove when squash is tender and caramel brown. Set aside and reduce oven heat to 350°F.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add cavatappi and cook approximately 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain well.
- On the stovetop, cook the pancetta over medium heat in a skillet for 6 minutes. Add shallots and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a 2 quart sauce pan, melt butter. Add flour and, stirring constantly, cook approximately 2 minutes or until golden brown. Add milk and cream in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth. Stir 2 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in 1-1/2 tablespoons of chopped sage. Add 1 teaspoon black pepper, or add to taste.
- Mix cooked cavatappi, cheese sauce and pancetta together in a large bowl. Gently fold in roasted butternut squash and crumbled goat cheese. Pour into a lightly greased 9" x 13" baking pan.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the microwave in a large glass bowl. Stir in sage, cheese and bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta mixture in the pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- Turn on broiler and move pan to the top rack of the oven. Brown for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and wait 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle each serving with minced fresh sage, if desired.
NEXT RECIPE: Jumbo Shell Pasta Stuffed With Baby White Cheddar
& Chicken Macaroni
Recipe and images copyright Tillamook. Other material © copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.