This southwest-inspired Mac & Cheese Chile Relleno Pie calls for chiles and hot sauce—add more hot sauce if you like it extra spicy.
Gourmet Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Recipe 3: Mac & Cheese Chile
Relleno Pie Recipe
This is Page 3 of a four-page article. Click the black links below to view the other pages.
Mac & Cheese Chile
Second runner-up Rhonda Allen of Lake Oswego, Oregon, took home $1,000 cash and 15 pounds of Tillamook cheese with her Southwest-inspired Macaroni & Cheese Chile Relleno Pie—for those who like things hot.
Yields 8 servings.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of lightly salted water to rolling boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente—do not overcook. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter and combine with 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs. Press into deep-dish pie pan or medium sized baker. Set aside.
- Remove chiles from cans; you will need 8. Keep the rest for garnish or other recipes. Pat chiles dry with paper towel. Cut 8 pieces of pepper Jack cheese to fit into chiles and set aside.
- Grate balance of pepper Jack with sharp Cheddar. Heat milk and sour cream over low heat in medium sized sauce pan until blended. Slowly add cheese until melted. Add hot sauce. Add drained pasta and fold together.
- Mix egg in shallow dish with fork. Roll cheese-stuffed chiles in egg and place strategically in pie pan. Cover with mac and cheese mixture. Top with remaining corn flake crumbs and strips of remaining chiles.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Continue To Page 4: Triple-Play Macaroni & Six Cheese Strata
Go To Recipe Index At The Top Of The Page
WHEN YOU THINK “MAC & CHEESE,” THINK BEYOND ELBOW MACARONI.
In fact, most award-winning recipes use other shapes.
See the different pasta shapes in our
Recipe copyright Tillamook. Other material