Your guests will scream "Whoopie!" when they see you've made them these Gingerbread Whoopie Pies. Photo courtesy McCormick.
Recipe: Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
With Lemon Crème Filling
Just a whiff of peppermint is sometimes just what you need to get in the holiday spirit. This recipe for Gingerbread Whoopie Pies, courtesy of McCormick, pairs ginger with molasses to reinvent the childhood classic of gingerbread people into a contemporary goodie for all ages. The lemon crème filling packed with peppermint particles finishes off this tasty, sure-to-please dessert.
Prep time for the dough is about 30 minutes, but you’ll need to refrigerate it for 4 hours or overnight before baking. Cookie baking time takes 8-10 minutes per batch.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow cream
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies
Preparation For The Cookies
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat 3/4 cup of the butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed.
- Press dough into a thick flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown.
- Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Preparation For The Filling
- In a medium bowl, mix marshmallow cream, remaining 1/4 cup butter, cream cheese and extract until well blended.
- Place about 1 tablespoon filling on the flat side of 1 cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to spread the filling. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Roll edge of cookies in crushed candy. Store whoopie pies between layers of wax paper in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen.
Recipe © McCormick. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are copyright of their respective owners.