Matching tea and food isn’t difficult; and in the end, as with wine, it’s what you like.
|TOMISLAV PODREKA is the co-founder of SerendipiTea, one of the largest independent importers of fine and specialty teas in the U.S. For more information, visit SerendipiTea.com.
Updated January 2009
Tea & Food Pairings
Page 3: Pairing Tea With Chocolate, Dessert & Fresh Fruit
This is Page 3 of a 5-part article. Click the black links below to view the other pages.
Chocolate & Tea Pairings
A surprising array of options presents itself with chocolate, depending on the strength of the chocolate dish.
- With dark chocolate, try Assam, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Gyokuro, Oolong or Pu-erh
- With milk or white chocolate, try Darjeeling, Dragonwell, Oolong, Sencha or Yunnan
Photo courtesy of Woodhouse Chocolates.
Dessert & Tea Pairings
People are accustomed to enjoying a cup of tea with dessert. The canvas of tea is so rich and colorful, you may never ask for a “generic” cup of tea again!
- Baklava: Darjeeling, Pouchong, Oolong (any), Ceylon Black and Green
- Carrot Cake: Sencha, Dragonwell, Vietnamese Green, Ceylon Green and Black, Darjeeling, Ceylon, Assam
- Cheesecake: Sencha, Dragonwell, Vietnamese Green, Ceylon Green and Black, Darjeeling, Keemun
- Citrus: Earl Grey
- Crème Brûlée/Crème Caramel: Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Ti Kuan Yin, Tung Ting Oolong, Dragonwell, Assam, Ceylon Green and Black
- Crêpes: Darjeeling, Oolong (any)
- Dessert With Apples: Darjeeling, Dragonwell, Ti Kuan Yin
- Dessert With Apricots: Oolong (any), Darjeeling
- Dessert With Bananas: Ti Kuan Yin, Tung Ting Oolong, Pouchong, Ceylon
- Dessert With Black Currants: Dragonwell, Darjeeling, Oolong (any)
- Dessert With Coffee Or Mocha Flavors: Yunnan, Assam, Pu-erh, Formosa, Oriental Beauty, Buddha’s Finger Oolong
- Dessert With Raspberries: Darjeeling, Vietnamese Green, Ceylon Green and Black
- Desserts With Strawberries: Darjeeling, Dragonwell, Ti Kuan Yin
- Fruit Compote or Tart: Ceylon, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Yunnan, Dragonwell, Ti Kuan Yin
- Pecan Pie: Oolong (any), Darjeeling, Assam, Ceylon
- Pumpkin Pie: Dragonwell, Ceylon Green and Black, Darjeeling
- Vanilla: Keemun, Ceylon, Darjeeling, Nilgiri
Fresh Fruit & Tea Pairings
These are hot tea pairings. Many people enjoy iced tea with fruit: Try iced greens and lighter blacks.
- Sweeter greens and lighter black teas, such as a first-flush Darjeeling or a lightly oxidized Oolong like Tung Ting
- Late autumnal Oolongs are also pleasant with fruit
Continue To Page 4: Pairing Tea With Fish & Seafood, Ham, And Herbs & Spices
Return To The Article Index At The Top Of The Page
© Copyright 2005-2015 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.