Homemade caramel pumpkin oatmeal bars rich with spices. Photo courtesy McCormick.
Recipe: Caramel Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars
The aromatic blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice unites with creamy pumpkin in these homemade bars. They're held together by melted caramels and topped with a loose oat-and-pumpkin-pie-spice mixture. The recipe, courtesy of McCormick, has a prep time of about 15 minutes, followed by a 35-minute cook time.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 7 ounces (1/2 of 14-ounce package) caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Mix flour, oats, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add butter; stir until mixture is well blended and forms coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1/2 of the mixture (about 2 1/4 cups) for the topping.
- Add pumpkin to remaining mixture in bowl; stir until well blended. Press evenly into greased, foil-lined 13x9-inch baking pan, and set aside.
- Microwave caramels and milk in medium microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 to 3 minutes or until caramels are completely melted, stirring after every minute. Let stand 1 minute.
- Pour over pumpkin mixture in pan, spreading to within 1/2-inch of edges. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Once the bars are completely cool, lift them from the pan and remove the foil. Cut into 24 bars.
Makes 2 dozen.
Recipe © McCormick. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are copyright of their respective owners.