Asparagus Spring Rolls With Sweet Red Chili Dipping Sauce are a fresh, healthy vegetarian lunch option. Photo courtesy California Asparagus Commission.
Product Reviews / Main Nibbles / International Foods
Page 5: Asparagus Spring Rolls With Sweet Red Chili Dipping Sauce
Spring rolls may seem exotic, but they are easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser. Serve them as a first course for dinner and as healthy snacks and cocktail snacks. This is Page 5 of a 12-page article. Jump to the recipe below. Click the black links below to view the other pages.
On The Menu
Asparagus Spring Rolls With Sweet Red Chili Dipping Sauce
Recipe yields 18-24 rolls. Note that this type of unfried roll in rice paper a summer roll, whereas spring rolls have a dough wrapper and are fried—a thinner version of egg rolls. See the difference and take a look at another spring roll recipe.
Spring Rolls Ingredients
- 1 pound asparagus
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cilantro leaves
- 1 mango or papaya
- Fresh ginger, 2-inch piece
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup dry roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 8-inch Vietnamese dried rice paper spring roll wrappers, 6 to 8 sheets
(available in any Asian market)
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup store-bought Asian sweet chili sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- To prepare filling, blanche asparagus in boiling salted water until tender to the bite, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Peel and julienne mango or papaya and ginger. Julienne bell pepper. Set aside with remaining filling ingredients.
- To assemble, fill a large bowl with hot water. Working with one wrapper at a time, slip rice paper wrapper into water until pliable, about 1 minute. Place wrapper on cutting board. In the center, put 3 to 4 asparagus spears with the tips coming off the end of the wrapper slightly, 3 to 4 mango or papaya slices, 3-4 pepper slices, 3 tablespoons sprouts, 2 tablespoons herbs, and a sprinkling of ginger and peanuts.
- Roll the wrapper from the bottom up, tightly. Leaving the ends open. Set aside and cover with a damp towel. Finish with remaining wrappers.
- When ready to serve, slice wrappers into 3 segments each and stand upright on a serving platter. Mix chili sauce and lime juice together. Serve alongside the rolls as a dipping sauce.
Continue To Page 6: Fresh Asparagus & Smoked Salmon Sandwich
Go To The Article Index Above
Recipe courtesy California Asparagus Commission. All other materials © copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.