Waffles: the long evolution from prehistory to the 20st century toaster waffle, introduced in 1953. Photo by Kelly Cline | IST.
Page 2: Waffles Today & Waffle Recipe Ideas
- 1911. General Electric introduces the first electric waffle iron designed by Thomas J. Stackbeck, which has a built-in thermostat to keep the waffles from burning due to overheating. Today’s waffle irons have essentially the same mechanics, with technology upgrades that offer non-stick surfaces, lighter-weight materials, fancy designs (flowers, Mickey Mouse, Hello Kitty) and plates that are removable for washing or to change designs.
- 1930s. Waffle irons become standard kitchen appliances.
- 1953. Brothers Tony, Sam and Frank Dorsa introduce Eggo frozen toaster waffles to supermarkets throughout the United States. Originally called “Froffles,” people started referring to them as “Eggos” because of their “eggy” taste. Going with the flow, the brothers change the name of the product in 1955. The brand is purchased by Kellogg in the 1970s.
1964. “Belgian waffles” debut at the New York World’s Fair in Flushing, Queens. Maurice Vermersch sells his wife’s recipe for Brussels waffles—fluffy yeast waffles with with strawberries and whipped cream. Realizing when the Fair opens that most Americans don’t know where Brussels is, he changes the name to Belgian waffles.
- 21st Century. The “nouvelle waffle”: cross-referencing and fusion cuisine. Sure, maple syrup still tastes great, but there’s a whole wide world of influence now. See the next section for ideas. And revive the “waffle frolic.” (We don’t know that Thomas Jefferson started the the “frolics,” but if he hadn’t brought the waffle iron back from Paris and served them to his influential friends, waffles wouldn’t have become fashionable at that time.)
- International Waffle Day is celebrated on March 25th.
- National Waffle Day is celebrated on August 24th.
- National Waffle Week is celebrated the second week in September.
How can you celebrate? With our delicious waffle recipe ideas on the next page!
Continue To Page 3: Waffle Glossary
Go To The Article Index Above
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.