For a new twist on strawberry shortcake, replace the shortcake with homemade coconut macaroons. Photos courtesy California Strawberry Commission.
Strawberry Dinner Party
Page 4: Strawberry Macaroon Napoleons
This is Page 4 of a 5-page article. Click the black links below to navigate between the pages.
On the menu:
Strawberry Macaroon Napoleons
This Strawberry Macaroon Napoleon is similar to the classic strawberry shortcake, but it replaces the shortcake with homemade coconut macaroons, for even more delicious, fruity flavor.
Yields 6 servings.
- 1-1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 ounce (1-1/2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- Sugar, to taste
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 18 cupcake wells.
- Stir together the coconut and sugar in a medium bowl, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Stir in the melted butter and then the egg, and mix until combined.
- Place 2 teaspoons of the coconut mixture into each of the cupcake wells. Using the back of a spoon dipped in water, press the coconut mixture into the well so it completely fills the bottom. Bake until golden brown, 12 minutes.
- Let the macaroons cool in the pans. Using a small sharp knife or small offset spatula, loosen them from the wells and remove them.
- For the Chantilly cream, whisk the cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- The cream should hold its shape but still be satiny in appearance. It should never be grainy.
- To serve, gently toss the strawberries with enough sugar to sweeten.
- Place a macaroon on each of 6 dessert plates. Cover each macaroon with some strawberries and some Chantilly cream.
- Repeat layering with another macaroon, more strawberries and cream. Top with the remaining macaroon. Serve immediately.
Continue to Page 5: Strawberry Mango Smoothie
Return To The Recipe Index Above
Recipes courtesy California Strawberry Commission. Other materials © copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.