Leftover meat balls, shredded Cheddar, lettuce and fresh tomato salsa make a cheeseburger taco. Photo courtesy Ortega.
Product Reviews / Main Nibbles / International Foods
From Traditional To Fusion To Your Leftovers
This is Page 2 of a three-page article on tacos. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
A cheeseburger taco? A brisket taco? A chicken stew taco?
If you can put ham and cheese on a bagel, you can put it—or anything else—on a tortilla, the Mesoamerican flatbread.
For lunch today, we tossed leftover bits of smoked salmon onto a tortilla, along with sliced hard-boiled egg, sliced potato, fresh salsa and a few beads of salmon caviar. We don’t know what to call it, but it was delicious.
Use Your Leftovers To Make Tacos
On the previous page, we listed the conventional taco ingredients.
Use the basics as a starting point and add your favorite garnishes and mix-ins: from sliced jalapeños to sliced olives and/or pickles; from sour cream to Greek yogurt and flavored mayonnaise; from chopped almonds and peanuts to diced dried fruit.
Scour the fridge for leftovers. Mashed potatoes, rice and green beans can be happily nestled in a tortilla.
||Toss leftover beef stew into a taco. Photo courtesy McCormick.
- Scrambled egg and bacon tacos: Save the leftovers for a taco lunch or snack.
- Sausage and potato tacos: Chorizo and diced potatoes are a conventional
Mexican taco filling, but you can use any sausage.
- Hummus tacos: Chickpea puree plus tabbouleh (or chopped parsley)
- Mushroom tacos: Sauteed mushrooms.
- Bean and grain tacos: Mix beans and brown rice, couscous or quinoa;
- Meat loaf tacos: With shredded lettuce and salsa instead of ketchup.
- Ground meat tacos: Deconstruct leftover meatballs or burgers and add shredded cheese for a cheeseburger taco.
- Tuna tacos: Grilled tuna or canned tuna, salsa and pickled onions.
- Beef tacos: Sliced steak, short ribs, braised beef or other beef with pickled red onions and salsa.
- Chicken salad tacos: Leftover chicken or chicken salad, with almonds, onions and perhaps a dash of curry powder and turmeric.
- Chinese tacos: Shredded or sliced chicken or pork, crunchy noodles, cucumber matchsticks, shredded carrots and hoisin sauce (or a hoisin-mayonnaise mixture).
||Tuna tacos. Photo courtesy McCormick.
- Hawaiian tacos: Sliced or shredded pork with minced pineapple (grill the pineapple first if you can), plus marinated cucumber and red onion slices.
- Japanese fish tacos: Panko-breaded fish fillets with salsa and wasabi mayonnaise.
- Korean tacos: Sliced chicken, beef or pork with diced tofu, pickled ginger, sesame oil and kimchi.
- Lamb tacos: Sliced lamb or shredded lamb burger with dill, Greek yogurt and tomato-mint salsa.
- Peking duck tacos: Shredded duck, hoisin sauce and thinly sliced cucumber.
- Salmon tacos: Shredded salmon & savoy cabbage apple-cucumber salsa.
- Thanksgiving tacos: Turkey, stuffing and cranberry salsa (mix cranberry sauce with fresh salsa).
Have a favorite leftover or fusion taco idea? Let us know!
Continue To Page 3: Fish Taco/Anything Taco Recipe
Go To The Article Index Above
Related Food Videos:
For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection.
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Photos are copyright of their respective owners.