Look closely and you can see the PB in this peanut butter granola bar from Nature Valley. Photo by Hannah Kaminsky | THE NIBBLE.
STEPHANIE ZONIS focuses on good foods and the people who produce them.
Page 5j: Nature’s Path, Nature Valley & New England Naturals
You are reading part of a review of 38 different granola bars brands. You can return to the index of granola bar brands, go to Page 1 of the complete article or continue to the next page of reviews.
Granola Bar Reviews
Nature’s Path Organic Chewy Granola Bars
Certified organic. “Wheat Free, Low Sodium, Zero Trans Fat, Whole Grain.” First ingredient: organic rolled oats. Certified kosher by Vaad Ha’ir of Winnipeg. NaturesPath.com
- Apricot & Nut (Coconut). “14g or more whole grains per serving.” The bar is sticky to the touch and somewhat sweet; nutty-tasting, with a definite coconut presence. It’s chewy and pleasant, but there’s not enough dried fruit. Per bar (40g): 160 calories, 45 calories from fat, 1.5g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 2g fiber, 12g sugars, 3g protein.
- Cranberry Ginger. “3g Fiber Per Serving, 15g Or More Whole Grains Per Serving.” Per bar (40g): 160 calories, 35 calories from fat, 1.5g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 3g fiber, 13g sugars, 3g protein. Chewy and crisp, with a light texture. Decent quantity of cranberries and a burst of ginger flavor aren’t quite enough to overcome a dull base.
Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars
“Excellent Source of Whole Grain.” Certified kosher by The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations. NatureValley.com
- Cinnamon. Per 2 bars (42g total): 180 calories, 50 calories from fat, 0.5g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 2g fiber, 11g sugars, 4g protein. First ingredient: whole grain rolled oats. Tastes like a crunchy cookie with some cinnamon flavor. Too much salt.
- Oats ‘N Honey. Per 2 bars (42g): same nutritional profile as Cinnamon variety. This appears to be a crunchy oatmeal cookie in bar form, albeit with too much salt.
- Peanut Butter. Per 2 bars (42g): 180 calories, 60 calories from fat, 1g saturated fat, no cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 2g fiber, 11g sugars, 5g protein. First ingredient: whole grain rolled oats. These look like a peanut butter cookie in bar form with a little peanut butter glaze in patches on top, and they taste exactly like they look. Very crunchy. A nice balance of sweet and salt, with some peanut butter flavor. Recommended. (See photo above.)
New England Naturals Organic Antioxidant Chewy Granola Bars
Certified organic. “Supports the Immune System, Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, 12g of Whole Grains, No Trans Fats, 12g or more whole grains per serving.” First ingredient: organic whole rolled oats. Chewy, light texture. Not enough dried fruit. There’s a strong flavor in here I can’t identify, but it might be the flax meal. OK but not stellar. Certified kosher by Young Israel of West Hempstead. Per bar (34 g): 140 calories, 35 calories from fat, no saturated fat or cholesterol, no sodium, 2g fiber, 11g sugars, 3g protein. NENB.com
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.