Classic risotto gets a tasty new treatment with fresh asparagus spears and rock shrimp. Photo courtesy California Asparagus Commission.
Product Reviews / Main Nibbles / Rice & Grains
Page 8: Asparagus & Rock Shrimp Risotto
Risotto is such a delicious food—but it’s so beige. Add color, crunch, flavor and visual interest with fresh asparagus. This is Page 8 of a 12-page article. Jump to the recipe below. Click the black links below to view the other pages.
On The Menu
Asparagus & Rock Shrimp Risotto
Recipe yields 4 servings.
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil, such as canola
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Italian Arborio (short-grained) rice
(See our Rice Glossary for the different types of rice)
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
- 1 pound asparagus, blanched and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 pound rock shrimp
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring chicken broth to a simmer; keep hot over lowest heat possible.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook onion with butter, oil, and salt over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice to coat with the onion mixture; then stir in lemon zest. Add 1/2 cup simmering stock; stir frequently until broth has been absorbed. Add another 1/2 cup broth; stir frequently until broth has been absorbed. Continue to add broth in this manner until the rice appears creamy and the grains of rice have no uncooked starch inside when tasted.
- About 5 minutes before risotto is done, stir in asparagus and shrimp. Continue cooking until shrimp is pink and just firm. Add a bit more stock, if necessary, to achieve a creamy but not soupy consistency.
- Serve on warmed plates, and season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Continue To Page 9: Warm Asparagus Salad With Lamb
Go To The Article Index Above
Recipe courtesy California Asparagus Commission. All other materials © copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.