Choose a flavorful white saltwater fish for best grilling results. Photo courtesy California Table Grape Commission.
Last Updated May 2012
Whole Grilled Fish Recipe
With Minted Grape Relish
This is Page 3 of a 3-page article. Here, a whole grilled fish recipe. Click the black links below to view the other pages.
On The Menu:
Grilled Whole Fish With Minted Grape Relish
Striped sea bass has been a favorite for grilled whole fish along the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts, with snapper and other rock fish taking its place in the Pacific. Any flavorful white saltwater fish will do in this recipe, but a whole fish is essential. Just as grilled bone-in steaks are preferred by many meat lovers, many fresh fish connoisseurs find that a fish grilled whole delivers the most flavor. Yields 2 servings.
- 1 small (1-1/2 pounds) striped bass, cleaned and scaled*
- 2 small clusters seedless grapes†
- 2 thin slices lemon
- 2 thin slices orange
- 2 stems fresh mint
- Toothpicks or wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Grape & Mint Relish (see below)
- Extra grapes for plate garnish (optional)
*Or substitute any other flavorful, whole, white saltwater fish.
†You can choose green, red or black grapes; or for the best presentation, use one color for the relish and multi-colors for a plate garnish, as shown in the photo above.
Ingredients For Grape & Mint Relish
- 1/2 cup chopped seedless grapes
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Tiny pinch salt
- With a sharp knife, slash 2-3 deep slashes in the side of the fish to ensure quick and even cooking. Stuff the cavity of the fish with grape clusters, citrus slices and mint.
- Secure the belly of the fish closed with a toothpick or wooden skewer. The fish can be held like this for up to 24 hours before cooking.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Clean the grill grate well.
- Rub or brush the outside of the fish with vegetable oil and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Grill the whole fish on each side for 4-5 minutes or until the skin has crisped and the flesh is white and tender. Remove from the heat.
- Discard the toothpicks or skewer and serve with Grape & Mint Relish.
Return To The Article Index Above
See More Seafood Recipes
Recipe © California Table Grape Commission. All rights reserved. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Other images are the copyright of their respective owners.