Enjoy one of America’s favorite breakfast foods with phytonutrient-rich raspberries. Photo by Simone van den Berg | IST.
STEPHANIE ZONIS focuses on good foods and the people who produce them.
Best Macaroni And Cheese
Page 5k: Shop-Rite & Wacky Mac Macaroni And Cheese
You are reading part of a review of 54 boxed macaroni and cheese mixes from nine different manufacturers. From here you can go to the index of all of the mac and cheese brands, go to Page 1 of the complete macaroni and cheese article or continue to the next page of reviews.
Shop-Rite Mac And Cheese
The main concern I have with this company is they do not provide nutrition information for the prepared product, which is, obviously, how most people would eat it. Shoprite.com
Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner (Complete)
- Serving size: 3.5 ounces/98 grams/about 1/2 cup macaroni and 1/3 cup cheese sauce/makes about 1 cup prepared
- Servings per container: about 4
- You add: nothing
- Yield when prepared: 3-2/3 cups
- Per serving: 310 calories (90 calories from fat). 10 grams total fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 790 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber, 12 grams protein, 15% calcium
- Tasting notes: Sauce has a slight metallic aftertaste. Otherwise, not notable.
Organic Macaroni and Cheese (Elbow Macaroni with White Cheddar Cheese)
- Serving size: “2/3 cup (68 grams) in box”
- Servings per container: 3
- You add: butter, milk
- Yield when prepared: Generous 3 cups
- Per serving: 350 calories (120 calories from fat). Remaining nutrition information is for dry mix only (that’s all you’re given on the box, and I could find nothing on the website): 5 grams total fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber, 11 grams protein, 10% calcium
- Tasting notes: Sauce powder dissolved less readily than most, leaving some lumps. Peculiar, unpleasant aftertaste, even when I made sure to sample an area with no lumps. Less sauce than most.
Shells and Cheddar Dinner (with Cheese Sauce Mix)
- Serving size: 3 ounces/84 grams/makes about 1 cup prepared
- Servings per container: 2.5
- You add: margarine or butter, 2% milk
- Yield when prepared: about 2-1/2 cups
- Per serving: 470 calories (180 calories from fat). Remaining values are for dry mix only: 2.5 grams total fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber, 10 grams protein, 10% calcium
- Tasting notes: Rich-tasting, no doubt due to high fat content. Modest cheese flavor. Pleasant, but I want to see complete nutrition information for the prepared product.
Wacky Mac Macaroni And Cheese
The mac and cheese dinner from this company had a light sauce, but a strong buttery flavor. NoYolks.com
Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
- Serving size: 1.83 ounces/52 grams/about 1/3 box. (No indication of a serving size once mix is prepared.)
- Servings per container: 3
- You add: butter or margarine, milk
- Yield when prepared: a scant 3 cups
- Per serving: No information on remaining nutrition facts for prepared product, not even on the website (as far as I could determine). As packaged, one serving of product contains: 200 calories (20 calories from fat). 2 grams total fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, less than 5 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 1 gram fiber, 12 grams protein, 4 % calcium
- Tasting notes: The four different pasta shapes in this one mix are an appealing combination. Very little sauce, with almost no cheese flavor but a much more buttery taste than usual. Certified kosher (dairy) by The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations.
Continue To The Next Page: Wegmans Macaroni And Cheese
Go To The Article Index Above
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.