Enjoy one of America’s favorite breakfast foods with phytonutrient-rich raspberries. Photo by Simone van den Berg | IST.
STEPHANIE ZONIS focuses on good foods and the people who produce them.
Best Macaroni And Cheese
Page 5j: Hodgson Mill & Pasta Roni
You are reading part of a review of 54 boxed macaroni and cheese mixes from nine different manufacturers. From here you can go to the index of all of the mac and cheese brands, go to Page 1 of the complete macaroni and cheese article or continue to the next page of reviews.
Hodgson Mill Macaroni And Cheese
Hodgson Mill’s whole wheat mac and cheese dinner has more fiber than many other varieties along with a more cheesy taste, making it a definite “favorite.” HodgsonMill.com
Whole Wheat Macaroni & Cheese Dinner~A Favorite
- Serving size: 2.5 ounces/70 grams/about 1/3 box/makes about 1 cup
- Servings per container: about 3
- You add: butter or margarine, milk
- Yield when prepared: about 3 cups
- Per serving: 400 calories (155 calories from fat). 17 grams total fat, 10 grams saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 650 mg sodium, 6 grams fiber, 12 grams protein, 15% calcium
- Tasting notes: I was prepared for the whole wheat elbows in this mix to have a strong flavor. They don’t, though they do have a somewhat more robust flavor than white-flour pasta. Higher in fiber than most, with a rich sauce that tastes more cheesy than most. A second trial of this mix using half of that fat called for in the original proved almost as tasty. A favorite. Certified kosher (dairy) by The Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations.
Pasta Roni Macaroni And Cheese
Directions for Pasta Roni mac and cheese call for a standing time to allow the sauce to thicken, which it did in one out of two instances. RiceARoni.com
Four Cheese Corkscrew Pasta
- Serving size: 2.5 ounces/70 grams/1 cup prepared
- Servings per container: 2.5
- You add: milk and margarine, butter, or “spread with no trans fat”
- Yield when prepared: about 2-1/2 cups
- Per serving: 370 calories (140 calories from fat). 15 grams total fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 2 grams trans fat (when prepared with margarine only), 10 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber, 11 grams protein, 15% calcium
- Tasting notes: The sauce is very thin immediately after preparation. The directions state that the finished product needs to stand 3 to 5 minutes for the sauce to thicken, but even after a full five minutes’ standing time, the sauce had almost no thickness to it. Somewhat cheesy-tasting.
Shells & White Cheddar
- Serving size: 56 grams/about 1/2 cup dry pasta and two tablespoons sauce mix/1 cup prepared
- Servings per container: about 3 (dry)
- You add: margarine or butter and milk
- Yield when prepared: about 2-3/4 cups. Per serving: 290 calories (110 calories from fat). 12 grams total fat, 4 grams saturated fat, 1.5 grams trans fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 730 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber, 9 grams protein, 10% calcium
- Tasting notes: Like the Four Cheese Corkscrew Pasta variety, the sauce here was initially quite thin. However, it thickened significantly upon standing after five full minutes. The sauce appeared very slightly curdled. Pleasant and somewhat cheesy-tasting.
Continue To The Next Page: Shop-Rite & Wacky Mac Macaroni And Cheese
Go To The Article Index Above
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.